Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Other actor's

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the TV series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Re: Other actor's

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:33 pm

steve sheffield wrote:Richard Davies...also crashed a car in a fawlty towers episode the " kipper and the corpse" as Basil and Manuel carry Mr. Leamans dead body outside !

He and his wife were so dissatisfied with Fawlty Towers that they chose another hotel, "next to the prophylactic emporium." :shock:
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Tom Jones » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:23 am

steve sheffield wrote:Richard Davies also crashed a car in a fawlty towers episode the " kipper and the corpse" as Basil and Manuel carry Mr. Leamans dead body outside !

I'd forgotten about that, good spot.
Richard Davies was also in One Foot in the Grave episode, ''Monday morning will be fine'', Mocking Meldrew in a case of mistaken identity.
Anthony Sharp (The Vicar) if i can recall correctly was in the TV Series To the Manor Born.
Tom Jones

Postby THE VICAR » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:34 pm

"richard davis was in another hit sit com for itv please sir as mr price the science teacher . hitler dont ask him who won the war it might upset him .
not the vicar again hes had two bob of me this year already.
THE VICAR

Postby steve sheffield » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:31 am

Just going down the Fawlty towers route, Gilly flower who played (Miss Tibbs?) appeared in "oh what a beatiful mourning and seance in a wet rag and bone yard.
Sadly passed away 2001.
3 Handkerchiefs and a pair of Y fronts. Enoch's dreaming of a white christmas.
steve sheffield

Postby PhilGlass » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:00 pm

Tom Jones wrote:Neil McCarthy who played Lennie in the second Steptoe film, Was the hotel magager Mr Bedford in Some mothers do 'ave em''
Neil also appeared in the films Zulu and Where Eagles Dare.
Richard Davies who played the Butcher in the second Steptoe film, (where Albert sneezes on the steak) also appeared in Zulu.

I spotted him in the film version of "George and Mildred" the other day!
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby stephen68 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:14 pm

Neil was also in the film Murder by decree with James Mason as Watson and Christopher Plummer as Sherlock Holmes, chasing Jack the rippper, still 1 of the creepiest and scariest films ive ever saw
Thick as a donkey's dongler
stephen68

Postby THE VICAR » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:15 pm

"neil was also in series one of catweazle as sam the farm hand. :D
not the vicar again hes had two bob of me this year already.
THE VICAR

Postby Ivor Biggun » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:02 pm

stephen68 wrote:JG Devlin who played the other escapee was in an episode of Dad's Army(Absent Friends), and the lady playing the actress in A Star is born (Lemonie i think her name was) i saw her in an episode of Whatever happened to the likely lads

JG Devlin's last role was as the priest in Bread.

The episode with the most other stars, I believe, was 'Oh What a Beautiful Mourning'. Of course there was Molly Sugden, Tommy Godfrey and Rita Webb in that one, and I don't think I have to mention their credentials because they should be well known by everyone. Yvonne Antrobus, who I believe was in a Doctor Who, among others. George A Cooper, who had a long and varied career including long running roles in Grange Hill and Billy Liar. Queenie Watts who was Mrs. Keene on Dad's Army, and also played many other roles. Gilly Flowers who did several episodes of Fawlty Towers, and there were other veteran actors in that episode with somewhat long, but also somewhat forgettable careers with but a few highlights. Margaret Flint played Lenny Godper's mum in an episode of Porridge as well as a customer caught in the clutches of the evil Arkwright in Open All Hours. Several of the above mentioned actors also had minor roles in Z-Cars, The Bill, Coronation Street and other popular television shows and films of the time.
I thought we'd nick a wreath off one of the graves as we went in.
Ivor Biggun

Postby Tom Jones » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:35 am

I saw Angus Mackay (the bed salesman, from And so to Bed) the other day in One Foot in the Grave.
He was in the episode 'The Eternal Quadrangle', the one where Victor takes up painting nude models :D
Tom Jones

Postby steve sheffield » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:52 am

The bed salesman was also a vicar in OFAH as Del boy tries to sell him an unwanted computer.
steve sheffield

Postby PhilGlass » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:56 pm

steve sheffield wrote:The bed salesman was also a vicar in OFAH as Del boy tries to sell him an unwanted computer.

I knew I'd seen the salesman somewhere before, just couldn't remember!! Thank you!!
PhilGlass

Postby stephen68 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:36 pm

Another one in Oh What a Beautiful Mourning was Bartlett Mullins who was Old Cloughie in the original Likely Lads series, playing one of Albert's brothers.
Thick as a donkey's dongler
stephen68

Postby Archie » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:51 pm

Well spotted Stephen - I just watched 'Mourning' . Gilly Flowers was also in it as well as 'Seance in a wet reg and bone yard' .

She played one of the Ladies in Fawlty Towers, one of her funniest lines was in The Kipper when she was shut in the wardrope by Basil with the dead body - That Thing as she called it :) :)
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby steve sheffield » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:42 am

Here is a little about George A Cooper who played "Uncle Arthur" in "oh what a beautiful mourning
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_A_Cooper Can remember him in rising damp and the bless this house movie.
steve sheffield

Postby PhilGlass » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:18 am

steve sheffield wrote:Here is a little about George A Cooper who played "Uncle Arthur" in "oh what a beautiful mourning
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_A_Cooper Can remember him in rising damp and the bless this house movie.

I grew up with him as the Caretaker in "Grange Hill". That and the bloke in the Job Centre in "Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em".
PhilGlass

PreviousNext

Return to The knobs are on my side