Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Where have I seen THAT before...

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the TV series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Where have I seen THAT before...

Postby PhilGlass » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:10 pm

Many people on here noticed several Steptoe similarities in ONLY FOOLS AND HORSES but I have found something EVEN WORSE...

Who remembers the 2001 Lee Evans sitcom "So, what now?". I quite enjoyed it at the time and recently rediscovered it... only to find the most copied Steptoe episode EVER!!

Already almost playing the part of Frank Spencer, Lee Evans gives a decent performance, but this is beyond believe. In this episode here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLJPOwsFzhM Episode 4, THE HOUSE GUEST, we have a strong rip off of Galton and Simpson's "Upstairs Downtairs, Upstairs Downstairs" Steptoe episode...

We begin with Lee and friend taking ina cantankerous old man... we then have the scene where he is in bed faking a bad back (as Albert did). A scene where he is asking for things and keeps calling them back "Ohhh..." instead of " 'Arold!".. just like they did... the bit where we see him out of bed and dancing, then jumps back in again pretending to be ill, just like Albert did... Lee carries him to the toilet... just like Harold did and Lee takes the TV up, just like Harold did (though we don't actually see Harold do it).

If you can, watch the episode (it's in 3 parts, I have nothing to do with the upload...) there's inspiration, then there's plain only copying!!!!!!! Unbelievable!!
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Re: Where have I seen THAT before...

Postby Tom Jones » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:27 am

I have seen the whole series (all 8 episodes) and episode 4 the house guest, does have a Steptoe theme to it.
And here is a further twist.
The old man is played by Hugh Lloyd, who appeared in 25 episodes (in numerous roles) of Hancock’s Half Hour.
The plot thickens!
Tom Jones

Postby Ivor Biggun » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:31 pm

I've never seen any resemblance between Steptoe and OFAH at all. Del Boy was a wannabe con man looking for the big score that would make him rich. Harold and Albert were junkmen just trying to get by. Completely different situations altogether.
I thought we'd nick a wreath off one of the graves as we went in.
Ivor Biggun

Postby Uncle Nobby » Thu May 14, 2015 7:42 am

Ivor Biggun wrote:I've never seen any resemblance between Steptoe and OFAH at all. Del Boy was a wannabe con man looking for the big score that would make him rich. Harold and Albert were junkmen just trying to get by. Completely different situations altogether.

The resemblance is this:

Albert Steptoe = Del Boy.

Harold Steptoe = Rodney.

Albert is always holding Harold back and not treating him well just like Del Boy does to Rodders.
"And you look after those gloves!"
Uncle Nobby

Return to The knobs are on my side