Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Props-costumes

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the TV series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Props-costumes

Postby steve sheffield » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:00 pm

I know things have been said and talked about regarding the skeleton and Albert's teeth etc, but I would like to start a topic about other unusual items that may have caught your eye.
Two things that I have seen of late that really stand out for me: 1 Harolds amazing sunglasses in the "colour problem". If you haven't watched this episode for a while please watch it just for these glasses. I have never seen any on television or in all my adult life anywhere apart from here.
It's where Harold is dreaming about owning the white sports car (a jag convertable, NICE) the clip shows you Harold driving in the car with a young lady in the most weird and unusual glasses ever. Square in design looking as though he has two television sets in front of his face!

:2 Secondly I would like to mention Harold's toffee/brown bubble/tye-dye shirt when he gets married to zita.
Again unless you were of that era you'd never see owt like this!
Would probably be quite popular now if it was available!
3 Handkerchiefs and a pair of Y fronts. Enoch's dreaming of a white christmas.
steve sheffield

Re: Props-costumes

Postby Archie » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:08 pm

Re the sunglasses....in the end credits of The Monkees Mike Nesmith (I think) is wearing a similar pair.
I remember at the time thinking how bizarre they looked :shock:
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:14 pm

Oooooo, cool topic.
Those daft sunglasses? All that gear made Harold look like a cross between Dick Dastardly and Elton John. Worse still was what he wore in "Any Old Iron?". Younger Steptoe fans may find it difficult to believe, but those sort of 'you must be joking' fashions weren't uncommon. Kipper ties too, like he wears to the football club in the first film. That crazy yellow & black striped jacket that gets torn up in "Back In Fashion" looks like something that should be painted on roads at pedestrian crossings. You'd see people actually wearing this stuff in public and think, 'somebody's put something in my drink!' (tip of the hat to the Ramones.)
The remarkable bit is that Ray and Alan recognized the absurdity of fashions and employed the subject with comic brilliance at a time when the aspirations of young people were being deliberately reduced to quaffered hair and a pair of flares.
The skeletons/skulls are favorite props as are the tuba, guitars and bagpipes. But there's an obscure prop that has always fascinated me. It appears downstairs on Harold's desk and upstairs in Albert's bedroom. It's a painted ceramic figure, about 9" high...a moustached bloke with a red hankie on his head. What is that??? Looks like Cheech Marin. Or Geezer Butler lol
Last edited by Dirty Old Yank on Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Archie » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:55 pm

I love Harold's suede Gents shoulder bag in Any Old Iron - complete with tassels.
To conceal any unsightly bulges in the trousers :)
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby PhilGlass » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:28 pm

A picture of Gerrard's Taxidermy staff delivering props to the Steptoe film set...

It's interesting that a lot of that "junk" was actually very valuable....

"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:50 am

Is it just me, or does the fellow on the left resemble a young Norman Bates? :shock:
Very cool photo Phil! :)
Somehow doesn't look like the Steptoe set without the cobblestones tho does it?
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ivor Biggun » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:25 am

What always catches my attention is the Beaver Cotton regulator clock in the entry hall in some episodes. You see those for sale here in the US once in a while but I would think they would be quite rare in the UK. There's also an acoustic guitar with two knobs on it that looks like it was converted to electric hanging on the wall in the lounge that I always seem to notice.
I thought we'd nick a wreath off one of the graves as we went in.
Ivor Biggun

Postby steve sheffield » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:57 pm

I would like to give a shout to the "USUALLY EMPTY" array of drinks bottles that Harold normally turns to in hours of despair
3 Handkerchiefs and a pair of Y fronts. Enoch's dreaming of a white christmas.
steve sheffield

Postby PhilGlass » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:06 pm

I like the picture of a young Albert from Seance in a Wet Rag and Bone Yard because it is obviously an early publicity shot of Wilfrid but I have never ever come across it anywhere else.
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:25 pm

Archie wrote:I love Harold's suede Gents shoulder bag in Any Old Iron - complete with tassels.

Tassels...(shudder). We call it 'fringe' here and with good cause lol. That Dennis Hopper in "Easy Rider" / Roger Daltry on a flamboyant night excuse for apparel. One can't help but stand in awe of the peacock stupidity of fashions and the consumerism that generated them. Grim lol.
The 'Grail' of props, for me anyway, would be one of the original "Steptoe and Son" painted slats off the side of one of the carts. What an extraordinary piece of history that would be! Can you imagine? People would stare in disbelief, like they do at Hendrix's burnt Strats, "....that can't possibly be real." :)
Dirty Old Yank

Return to The knobs are on my side