Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Re occurring Characters

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the TV series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Re occurring Characters

Postby Tom Jones » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:01 am

What characters would you have liked to seen more of?
I am not talking about a whole series but maybe an extra episode or two with them in it.
Would you liked to see more of the Vicar, Uncle Arthur, Frankie Barrow, Potty Aida or perhaps someone else.

I wouldn’t have minded another episode with George, A, Cooper, playing Uncle Arthur again.
User avatar
Tom Jones
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:31 am

Re: Re occurring Characters

Postby PhilGlass » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:30 am

For me it has to be the Vicar, and his wife. It is a shame neither were used in the films, it would have been nice to have had that vicar marrying Harold.
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
User avatar
PhilGlass
 
Posts: 1124
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:41 pm
Location: Down the football club pulling a stripper!

Re: Re occurring Characters

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:41 pm

Good question but difficult to answer, so many to choose from, excellent performances all round.
I'd like to have seen much more of Patricia Routledge in any role, not just Madame Fontana.
Utterly fearless and hysterically funny, she went toe to toe with Harry, no small feat.
I dunno how either of them kept from busting out laughing...and maybe they did.
One of those out takes we all wish we had.
You can almost see Harry about to break character, grinding his teeth when Patricia nearly rubs noses with him while pulling an innocent face: "Hello........Mum."
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
User avatar
Dirty Old Yank
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: A laundrette on the South Col

Re: Re occurring Characters

Postby steve sheffield » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:45 pm

Agreed with philglass, would have been consisitent to see the vicar from porn yesterday and men of letters to have married Harold and Zita in the film. (shame)
Did like "The Godfather of Shepherds bush" Frankie Barrow- should have got a bit more mileage out of him as long as the seven steptoerai didn't mind.
A second chance for Harold and "Bunty" could have also seen Albert getting it on with the posh Mr.s Kennington-stroud?
3 Handkerchiefs and a pair of Y fronts. Enoch's dreaming of a white christmas.
User avatar
steve sheffield
 
Posts: 195
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:21 pm
Location: On my way to Bognor

Re: Re occurring Characters

Postby Reverend Flasher » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:37 am

I'd also liked to have seen more of the Vicar in the Steptoe movies. Marrying Harold in the first movie and doing the fake funeral in second movie. Steptoe ride again.
He could have also slotted in the Oh what a beautiful morning episode.
---------------------------------------------
Albert : They'll put me in a nut - house.
Harold : It's up to you. 18 months in the nick or the rest of your life in a nut - house
Live Now, P.A.Y.E. Later
User avatar
Reverend Flasher
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:04 am
Location: on the orse

Re: Re occurring Characters

Postby Ivor Biggun » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:21 pm

I always thought part of what made the show good was it's relative LACK of recurring characters. The stories focused mainly on Harold and Albert. Having too many other characters making regular appearances on the show would have taken too much time away from them.
I thought we'd nick a wreath off one of the graves as we went in.
Ivor Biggun
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:45 pm

Re: Re occurring Characters

Postby harryfaversham » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:00 pm

Well said Ivor
"I've never had an x-ray"

"Yes you have! Two years ago when the 'orse kicked you in the cobblers!"
User avatar
harryfaversham
 
Posts: 601
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:07 pm
Location: The Mews Cottage, Oil Drum Lane, Shepherd's Bush

Re: Re occurring Characters

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sun May 05, 2013 5:26 am

Might've been nice to see more of the cheeky waltzing milkman from "Come Dancing" (Tony Melody).
Rinse your empties! :)
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
User avatar
Dirty Old Yank
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: A laundrette on the South Col

Re: Re occurring Characters

Postby Dolly_Clackett » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:27 pm

Definitely would have liked to see another appearance by the vicar...as for the first film I would imagine Zita's mother would have chosen the church...but for the Albert's "funeral" in rides again it should've been Vicar Cakebread. Antony Sharp was great in the role.
A whole packet!
User avatar
Dolly_Clackett
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:10 pm

Re: Re occurring Characters

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:22 pm

Dolly_Clackett wrote:Definitely would have liked to see another appearance by the vicar...as for the first film I would imagine Zita's mother would have chosen the church...but for the Albert's "funeral" in rides again it should've been Vicar Cakebread. Antony Sharp was great in the role.


The vicar was a great character in Steptoe. Trivia: Seen Anthony Sharp in an episode of the Sweeney once too. Did this man ever age? :P
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
User avatar
Ilovesteptoe
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:24 pm
Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Re: Re occurring Characters

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:56 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:Did (Anthony Sharp) ever age? :P

It’s easy to imagine Anthony Sharp popping out of the womb a thespian.
Looking like a Roman senator......isn’t it Ragsby?
“...Rigsby!!!”
Brilliant ‘Rising Damp’ episode that :wink:.
steve sheffield wrote:...A second chance for..."Bunty"...

We've seen that movie....Mutiny on the Bunty :roll:.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
User avatar
Dirty Old Yank
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: A laundrette on the South Col

Re: Re occurring Characters

Postby Archie » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:13 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:
Dolly_Clackett wrote:Definitely would have liked to see another appearance by the vicar...as for the first film I would imagine Zita's mother would have chosen the church...but for the Albert's "funeral" in rides again it should've been Vicar Cakebread. Antony Sharp was great in the role.


The vicar was a great character in Steptoe. Trivia: Seen Anthony Sharp in an episode of the Sweeney once too. Did this man ever age? :P


He also played the prison governor in A Clockwork Orange.
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
User avatar
Archie
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:40 pm
Location: Largs Ayrshire Coast

Re: Re occurring Characters

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:46 pm

Archie wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:
Dolly_Clackett wrote:Definitely would have liked to see another appearance by the vicar...as for the first film I would imagine Zita's mother would have chosen the church...but for the Albert's "funeral" in rides again it should've been Vicar Cakebread. Antony Sharp was great in the role.


The vicar was a great character in Steptoe. Trivia: Seen Anthony Sharp in an episode of the Sweeney once too. Did this man ever age? :P


He also played the prison governor in A Clockwork Orange.


Yeah I forgot that one. He seemed to be everywhere in the mid late seventies. :)
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
User avatar
Ilovesteptoe
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:24 pm
Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Re: Re occurring Characters

Postby THE VICAR » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:53 pm

"hes also been on bbc2 most afternoons as the major in to the manor born Gerard sim played the vicar in to the manor would have been a good guest vicar in Steptoe. :D
not the vicar again hes had two bob of me this year already.
THE VICAR
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:48 pm
Location: kent uk

Re: Re occurring Characters

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:22 pm

THE VICAR wrote:"hes also been on bbc2 most afternoons as the major in to the manor born Gerard sim played the vicar in to the manor would have been a good guest vicar in Steptoe. :D


Anthony Sharp and Derek Nimmo had the clergy down to a tee. Think he was also in that 1978 Kids Series Flockton Flyer with Shelia Fearn too. He had more roles than well seasoned cheddar. :P
Last edited by Ilovesteptoe on Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
User avatar
Ilovesteptoe
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:24 pm
Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Next

Return to The knobs are on my side

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron

 

 

Testing