Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

BBC Radio 7 WOW!

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the Radio series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Postby Karl » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:58 pm

I didn't think they had a definite date for the radio shutdown Archie,i must check.............
"The only thing worth 'avin is that porcelain group on the mantlepiece behind your elbow......." "'Aint you got any woodbines?.. "
Karl

Postby Archie » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:11 pm

Whats happening with Radio 7, they seem to have changed the name to Radio 4Extra - Why :?:

I picked up another DAB radio in a charity shop last week for a tenner :o so I can now listen in my workshop where I spend most of my time working on cars :)
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby bob » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:38 am

As a bit of a radio 4 fan, I think this was to allow them to make greater use of the archive. My own personal interest is BBC Radio Drama and radio 4 used to be excellent at this with several feature length plays broadcast each week, this all stopped around 1995.

When BBC7 came along its aim was to broadcast old radio comedy and drama. Which included Steptoe. In my view the station was too reliant on comedy as much of the drama in the BBC archive cannot be re-broadcast due to rights issues. How sad.

There were a number of Radio 4 programmes that were more factual in content and didn’t fit the original BBC7 remit. They can also save money by broadcasting some stuff that would have ended up on the cutting room floor. They now broadcast an extended version of the Now show, which contains extra bits (crap) not included in the radio 4 broadcast. So a new station was created to allow for this. It is still run by the same team !!!. Personally I think to call it Radio 4 extra is still a bit misleading. They could put that right by bringing back Saturday Night Theatre but they never will.
bob
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Radio Series