Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Radio Shows on eBay

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the Radio series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Radio Shows on eBay

Postby thatsthatthen » Sun May 18, 2008 11:09 pm

There's a bloke on eBay selling CDs of the complete radio shows in mp3 format (this includes 52 episodes, plus the remake of The Offer, S&S at Buckingham Palace and S&S Down Under).
All for £3.99 plus £0.95 p&p.
That seems like a good deal to me.
He's selling 81 episodes of the Goon Show for the same price too.

Who can resist?!!
Who did she think she was?
thatsthatthen

Postby Rian » Mon May 19, 2008 7:06 am

wow thanks for the information :)
Rian

Postby thatsthatthen » Sun May 25, 2008 11:03 pm

They arrived the other day. Wow. Well worth the money. I'd been recording episodes off Radio 7 on a Tues night and converting them to mp3. This saves me loads of time!

The bloke's doing all the Hancocks and Dad's Army too.
Comedy heaven!
thatsthatthen

Postby thatsthatthen » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:58 pm

So I've now got all the radio shows on my iPod. What a joy!

What's really interesting is how the shows differ from the TV shows upon which they're based. I'm not talking about the obvious translation of visual to audio humour.

Take The Offer, for example. The seminal episode.

The radio show was made a few years after the series was established, and thus H and A were by then very well established characters in the public consciousness.

The most emotional and powerful scenes simply do not have anywhere near the same impact ... and that isn't because you know Harold will never leave, it's because they are acted differently. They don't even sound the same.

Gotta be honest, the acting on the radio isn't anywhere near as good and I get the feeling these shows were produced quickly and cheaply merely to satisfy public demand.

I also am not keen on the opening narrative, where A and H make comments about each other. It's all a bit lame and out of character .... possibly because you feel you are being addressed directly and that is something the actors never did with their audience in the TV show.

But it's still great to be able to listen to Steptoe and Son on the move.
thatsthatthen

Postby Karl » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:13 am

i've seen a couple of discs of the radio series on ebay lately,i wonder why we haven't had "collectors boxsets" of each series issued as the beeb have done with Dads army & Hancock?
:?
"The only thing worth 'avin is that porcelain group on the mantlepiece behind your elbow......." "'Aint you got any woodbines?.. "
Karl

Return to Radio Series