Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Radio Episodes, that did not get Filmed!

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the Radio series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Radio Episodes, that did not get Filmed!

Postby Dirty Old Man! :-) » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:53 am

Hi all,

Apologises if this has been, Posted before! I am new to this Forum and have not, seen it Posted!

I have recently found a copy of, 'The Facts of Life'! Apparently an Episode of Steptoe & Son, which was never Filmed! However, it is available on a PYE 45" Record!

Does anyone here know of any other Episodes that were written, that never made it to the Small or Big Screen?

Many thanks!
Dirty Old Man! :-)

Postby bob » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:02 am

Hi Dirty Old Man, or can I just call you Dirty.

I am recalling this from memory, but I think "The Facts of Life" is a reworking of "Is that your Horse Outside" But it was especially made for record release.

There are a couple of LPs that pop up from time to time on Ebay, but I've never bought one.

Welcome to the Forum

Bob
bob
Site Admin

Postby PhilGlass » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:51 pm

That's right, the FACTS OF LIFE EP is taken from a tv episode.

The LP's, singles and EP releases were ALL from the TV episodes, as the radio series did not start until 1966.

Only one episode was ever recorded just for radio and NEVER officially released and this was 'Scotch on The Rocks' from 1978.

ALL record releases come from the TV versions. They are lifted directly from the TV show with the occasional word or two added to cover a sigh gag, like in the Buckingham palace recording when Harold says 'Oh my god, it's the crown!'.

As Bob said they come up for sale here and there, they were very popular so there are a lot of them around, which is good because that means we don't have to pay too much for them!!
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Dirty Old Man! :-) » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:15 am

Thank you very much, Bob and Phil! Both for the welcome and for, the information!

I have yet to listen to the recording but am fascinated to know it is based on 'Is that your Horse Outside'!

I am wondering now if 'Scotch on The Rocks', is available from any source?

Bob you can call me anything you want, if you can help me locate 'Scotch on The Rocks' :lol:

Best wishes, to you both!
Dirty Old Man! :-)

Postby PhilGlass » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:59 am

Hi

'Scotch' is available on the collectors DVD / CD I put together, look at 'Assorted Rags' under 'Other Junk'.

If you have anything to trade then let me know, these are available on a trade only basis. I actually now have it in better quality than what is on there too.

Phil
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Arthur Philpott » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:26 pm

I have some Steptoe albums....plus a PYE Records E.P. "Steptoe and Son at Buckingham Palace"....which I thought was their sketch onstage at the Royal Command Performance at The London Palladium before H.M. The Queen (wasn't this back in 1964 ?)

Not sure if I'm right here...but S & S are up at Buck House...."Totting" !!

Albert speaks of meeting a nice little boy (we assume then young Prince Andrew !) who swapped him some items....!

The Audience fall about !

was this from a TV Show as i don't recall it being so...or was it a "Christmas sketch" or something...?
What Exactly is...a polopony ?
Arthur Philpott

Postby bob » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:04 pm

Hi Arthur

It was broadcast on TV, as the Royal Variety thing was big telly back in the 60's.

I think I am right in saying that the BBC and ITV took it in turns to broadcast it, so ironically this was the only new Steptoe sketch to be broadcast on ITV.
bob
Site Admin

Return to Radio Series