Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Hancocks Half Hour radio collection from Old Time Radio

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the Radio series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Hancocks Half Hour radio collection from Old Time Radio

Postby borehamwood » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:53 am

Greetings all. Whille researching the Steptoe & Son radio program I found this.

http://www.otrcat.com/hancocks-half-hour-p-1366.html

I have purchased several collections from this site in the past and can wholeheartedly recommend them. My copy of this is on the way.

Also, a question. Is the Steptoe radio series really worth getting if you already have the whole tv series on dvd? It seems that the episodes of the radio show are just reworkings of the tv episodes. Any opinions would be helpful.

Thanks
borehamwood

Postby bob » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:42 am

I like the radio series as a different experiance. But then I have always loved radio, the pictures are much better .... etc etc.

There are some small changes made to help it work on radio. The church see in Afterwards at ...... with Harold and the Vicar is hilarious.
bob
Site Admin

Postby PhilGlass » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:43 pm

That's a very interesting question.

Some of the early ones are quite different, as Gale Pederick adapted the first 2 series and several things were changed.

I like the radio series for in the car on long journeys. I remember once going on a coach holiday with my parents, when I was a boy, and we gave the coach driver some steptoe audio cassettes to play, everyone was loving it.

But unless you are really a die hard fan, a lot of people find them quite the same.
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby bob » Mon May 03, 2010 11:44 am

BBC7 are currently broadcasting a number of early episodes that havn't been heard for years. Fantastic
bob
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Thu May 06, 2010 6:05 am

The radio shows are brilliant! a totally different experience IMHO,
as stated before,if you watch the tv shows as much as we all have,you just remember the pictures as you go along,i have the complete Dad's Army radio and tv series again,i can just picture the scenes as i listen........ :)
"The only thing worth 'avin is that porcelain group on the mantlepiece behind your elbow......." "'Aint you got any woodbines?.. "
Karl

Postby callous_little_bleeder » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:55 pm

I have yet to experience the Steptoe radio series, so I cannot speculate. Are they online to download in any capacity? As a Steptoe nut I am highly interested in hearing these episodes.

Perhaps a PM is in order as I suspect it is illegal to trade such things openly.
callous_little_bleeder

Postby bob » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:21 am

They can be found on a number of torrents
bob
Site Admin

Postby callous_little_bleeder » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:27 pm

Thanks Bob. :D
callous_little_bleeder

Re: Hancocks Half Hour radio collection from Old Time Radio

Postby Karl » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:48 am

[quote="borehamwood"]Greetings all. Whille researching the Steptoe & Son radio program I found this.

http://www.otrcat.com/hancocks-half-hour-p-1366.html

I have purchased several collections from this site in the past and can wholeheartedly recommend them. My copy of this is on the way.

Also, a question. Is the Steptoe radio series really worth getting if you already have the whole tv series on dvd? It seems that the episodes of the radio show are just reworkings of the tv episodes. Any opinions would be helpful.

good to read this post again,i have just used the "old time radio classics" site for the first time...i purchased the "Parsley Sidings" Cd,i've been looking for this classic radio show for some time and am very pleased to have found it at last!! the site has a comprehensive selection of old radio shows-Hancock,the Goons,Steptoe & son,Dads army etc. depending on what happens i'll be back for more.....................everything is half price at the moment too.........
Footnote-My "Parsley Sidings" CD duly arrived today, just listening and i have to say i'm well pleased,i will certainly visit this site again.
"The only thing worth 'avin is that porcelain group on the mantlepiece behind your elbow......." "'Aint you got any woodbines?.. "
Karl

Return to Radio Series