Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

HALLMARK CD

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the Radio series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

HALLMARK CD

Postby NOEL » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:48 am

HI TO ALL OF YOU OUT THERE AND I HOPE EVERYBODY IS HAVING A GREAT WEEKEND AND LOTS OF EGGS.
I AM NEW TO THE FORUM AND THIS IS MY FIRST POST ON HERE ANYWAY I HAVE JUST FOUND THAT HALLMARK HAVE A NEW STEPTOE CD OUT AND I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW IF ANYBODY ON HERE HAVE ANY INFO ON THE CD PLEASE.
ALL THE BEST TO YOU.
NOEL
STEPTOE WILL ALLWAYS BE IN MY HEART LIKE IT WILL ALLWAYS BE IN YOURS
NOEL

Re: HALLMARK CD

Postby PhilGlass » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:40 am

Hi Noel, welcome!!

I Hallmark CD is not actually of radio episodes. It is a reissue on an LP record that was released in the 70's (reissued mostly from the 60's). All of the Steptoe LP's, even those released after the radio series had started, contained audio from the actual television episodes, with the occasional new line dubbed in to cover a visual gag.

Nice to see more official releases, if only they would release Harry's LP!! A CD of all the radio series would be great, or even a box set of the LP's would be nice!
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby NOEL » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:34 pm

PhilGlass wrote:Hi Noel, welcome!!

I Hallmark CD is not actually of radio episodes. It is a reissue on an LP record that was released in the 70's (reissued mostly from the 60's). All of the Steptoe LP's, even those released after the radio series had started, contained audio from the actual television episodes, with the occasional new line dubbed in to cover a visual gag.

Nice to see more official releases, if only they would release Harry's LP!! A CD of all the radio series would be great, or even a box set of the LP's would be nice!

THANK YOU FOR THE REPLY PHIL VERY NICE OF YOU SO DO YOU KNOW WHAT SHOWS ARE ON THIS CD AND HOW MANY LP RECORDS DID THEY PUT ON IN THE 70S AND ALSO DID ANY COME ON IN THE 60S.
DO YOU HAVE ANYMORE INFO ABOUT HARRY'S LP AND WHAT IS ON THERE.
I DO NOT KNOW WHY THE BBC WILL NOT PUT ALL OF THE RADIOS ON CD IT WOULD SELL BUT WHAT CAN YOU DO.
SOMETIMES YOU WILL SEE A CD OR TWO ON EBAY OF SOME OF THE SHOWS BUT DO YOU KNOW WHERE I COULD BUY THE UNCUT EPISODES ON CD FOR SOMEBODY OR IF NOT YOU MYBE SOMEBODY WILL.
ALL THE BEST TO YOU.
NOEL
P.S. LOVE YOUR SIGNATURE IS THERE ANYTHING BEHIND THAT AND ALSO DO YOU KNOW WHERE I COULD GET A STEPTOE AVATAR AS I'AM NO GOOD AT THINGS LIKE THAT AND ALSO MY LAPTOP IS DOWN AT THIS TIME SO I'AM ON MY MOBILE THANKS.
STEPTOE WILL ALLWAYS BE IN MY HEART LIKE IT WILL ALLWAYS BE IN YOURS
NOEL

Postby PhilGlass » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:20 pm

Hi Noel

Hope you're having a happy easter. This website is run by Bob and is a friendly community, Bob makes sure of that so I hope you enjoy your time here, we're all friends.

Okay, a few answers to your questions the best I can:

All except 1 of the Steptoe LP's were released in the 60's except "Steptoe and Son Ride Again" (nothing to do with the film) and "Steptoe and Son Down Under". All of the tv episodes adpated were from the 60's except one on the last LP "The Joys of Smoking" which was taken from "TB or Not TB" the only 70's episode to appear on vinyl record. Several EP records were released too. These were all released by PYE records or a subisdiary (Golden Guinea, Golden Hour or Hallmark). They are of high interest as, like I mentioned before, often contain overdubbed words or lines not in the TV counterpart and have a different feel to the radio versions.

All BBC Audio tapes and CD's contain the radio episodes.

Harry and Wilfrid released several records each, Wilfrid released two singles, and appeared on one LP "The Canterbury Tales", the soundrack to what was, then, the biggest and most successful west end show of all time.

Harry released 27 songs over his career. Many on singles and one album "Only Authorised Employees to Break Bottles" in 1974 - this was a collection of songs showcasing various british accents, very much an actors album, although all tracks were songs. Most of his output fits in to the novelty range.

Many sellers offer bootleg copies of the radio episodes or they can be (illegally) downloaded quite easily. They have a different feel to the TV episodes and I remember as a young lad my dad having some audio tapes he bought (and one I shoplifted!!) and every long journey they would go on! Once, on a long coach holiday to Italy somehow the driver ended up putting one of them on and everyone insisted on more afterwards as they enjoyed them so much.

There was about 8 LP's put out, a few EP's and a single of the Buckingham Palace sketch.

Hope this helps.

MY SIGNATURE is a line from the episode "Come Dancing" (series 6) where Harold is bored and Albert recommends they go and see a film, it has lesbians in it!!

As for an avatar, you need to find a picture, online is your best bet, and use that. If you only use a phone it may be hard to do, I wouldn't know about that!
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Return to Radio Series