Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Rita Webb Page Complete

Ask other forum member for help and advice on anything to do with Steptoe and Son

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Rita Webb Page Complete

Postby bob » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:21 am

I'm very grateful to Aaron webwaster of "Rita;s Beedin Website" for supplying a bleedin excelent picture of Rite "Potty Aida" Webb. Many thanks
bob
Site Admin

Postby Graham_S nli » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:32 pm

Bob,

just a quick correction on Rita Webb's page....

You have her appearing in only the episode "Oh what a beautiful mourning"...

I watched Series 4 and spotted her in "And Afterwards At...." as one of the Steptoe family ( not sure she was "potty aida" either.... ).

A bit pedantic perhaps! but keep the good work up....

Graham
Graham_S nli

Rita Bleedin Webb

Postby bob » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:12 am

Hi Graham

Thanks for the correction. I must admit to being a bit lazy and taking my information from the recent book.

This was also pointed out by Aaron who runs "Rita's Bleedin Website". Actually I am pleased she is also in "......And Afterwards At" as it gives the Steptoe family a bit more continuity.

Does she play "Potty Aida" in this episode as well ?

Bob
bob
Site Admin

Postby Graham_S nli » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:50 pm

Bob,

I might have to re-watch it ( no bad thing I suspose! ) as I'm fairly sure she wasn't that marvellous character "Potty Aida" but another Steptoe family member...

The other interesting thing/s about the episode is that Mollie Sugden played the bride's ( very emotional... ) mother rather than a Steptoe and George A Cooper although definitely a Steptoe was not called by any name in the episode....

Graham
Graham_S nli

Postby Graham_S nli » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:24 pm

The missus and kids are in bed and I have been able to pleasantly watch a couple of episodes from series 4 including "And Afterwards at...."

Rita Webb played "Aunty Freda" in the episode and if memory serves me right George A Cooper's "Uncle Arthur" in "Oh what a beautiful mourning" mentions that the last time he had seen Albert was at "Freda's Internment"....

as far as continuity goes Galton and Simpson ( and Antrobus in collaberation with Galton on "Murder in Oil Drum Lane" ) didn't stray too far in respect of recurring characters even though actors such as Dudley Foster, Leonard Rossiter and others returned as different characters during the series run....

The real problems IMHO occurred with the Harold's age throughout the series. Harry at the start of the series was playing his own age but as Harry got older, Harold's character didn't and it started to show towards the end...

Also the writers changed the details of Harold's Army days to reflect his supposed current age in the 70's episodes.... He mentioned in a 60's episode that he served in WW2 apparently though only in Aldershot ( the Glasshouse perhaps? ) but during "Loathe Story" he told the psychiatrist he had served 2 years in Malaya....

The writers in "Murder in Oil Drum Lane" cleverly concocted a way to explain both versions of the stories......

Graham
Graham_S nli

Postby bob » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:28 am

Graham

Great posting, thanks for taking the time to some research.

I have gone back to my book and Rita Webb does not get any official mention as appearing in either of the 2 episodes we are currently discussing.

I must have included her purely from remembering her in the “Oh What a Beautiful Mourning” episode and my desire to give her a mention on the website.

This next bit is from memory too. It is interesting that she played Auntie Freda in “And Afterwards At”, because I also recall it was Freda who was “lying under a great pile of storks” in the “Oh what” episode. This is something you have referred to in your e-mail. I suppose this gives Ray and Alan the opportunity to pen some further Steptoe narrative explaining that Freda and Aida were identical twins !!!!!

Thank you for explaining Harold’s army career and the way “Murder in Oil Drum Lane” connects the gaps created in the TV series.

I know we discussed this, but I was having difficulty in explaining it in less than a thousand words. You have done the job perfectly.

Bob
bob
Site Admin

Postby Graham_S nli » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:48 pm

Bob,

If you check the BBC's "comedy guide" neither performance is listed for Rita...

While watching "And afterwards at...." I also think I spotted Gretchen Franklin ( of Eastenders fame ) as one of the Steptoe clan which with the Shepherds Bush setting wouldn't be too far fetched, this unfortunately is also not supported anywhere on the web....

Graham
Graham_S nli

Postby Graham_S nli » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:47 pm

Bob,

Another "famous face" worth putting in might be Trevor Bannister who played "Rupert"( Don't ask me how to spell his surname! ) the writer and director of the play " Guilt, the white man's burden" in " A Star is Born"...

I was listening to the episode from the radio series yesterday on the way home from work and he was mentioned in the credits of that as well as appearing in the TV series....

His most famous work was in the 70's in "Are you being served" as Mr Lucas and he's still working as he recently played Mike Baldwin's solicitor on Coronation Street just before Mike pegged out....

Graham
Graham_S nli

Postby bob » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:09 am

You’re right I did over look Trevor Bannister, but I did include Margaret Nolan, who played Nemone Wagstaff.

I suppose Trevor did have a more successful career than Margaret, but unfortunately it wasn’t Trevor who flashed his legs all over the opening credits of Goldfinger.

Besides “Are You being served” the only other regular show I recall Trevor being in was a Radio Comedy called “Oh! My Sainted Aunt”. It was basically about a man who was haunted by his deceased Aunt. I seem to enjoy it at the time. I only discovered it because it was on a Sunday evening on Radio 2 and I used to switch over after listening to the top 40 on Radio 1. How sad !!!

I’ll see what I can do about Trevor, after I finished my outstanding Bios’
bob
Site Admin

Postby Graham_S nli » Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:40 am

Bob,

Another name worth bringing up maybe Madeline Smith who played "Carol" in "Back in Fashion"...

She like Margaret Nolan and Joanna Lumley before her was a "Bond girl" before their appearences on Steptoe... ( She appeared as an Italian agent seduced by James Bond in "Live And Let Die" ) and was also a very familar face to gentlemen of our age in the 70's in numerous comedys due to her "assets"....

Graham
Graham_S nli

Postby Graham_S nli » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:18 pm

Bob,

Found this interesting article on a website in respect of Henry Woolf who played Frankie Barrow, could be useful for your biography of him...

Graham

http://www.neilinnes.org/articles/henry/henry.htm
Graham_S nli

Postby PhilGlass » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:37 pm

Graham

As I understand it, Harold does get older, he just pretends not to, hence why he always nearly says something else before '39' .
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby steve sheffield » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:25 pm

Always fancied Margaret nolan that played nemone wagstaff! Especially liked her in Carry on henry and carry on at your convenience!! Corr big walnut crushers!!
3 Handkerchiefs and a pair of Y fronts. Enoch's dreaming of a white christmas.
steve sheffield

Postby bob » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:41 pm

I'm sure Harry enjoyed being "up agiainst" Naeomi Wagstaff. !!!!
Last edited by bob on Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
bob
Site Admin

Postby bob » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:48 pm

Actually Steve's post got me thinking. If we could go back to those un-PC days of the 70's, if this forum had existed then, we would have been voting for the top three "birds" from the series.

My three are :

1. Margaret Nolan - A Stat is Born
2. Joanna Lumley - Loath Story
3. The girl in the cinema - Sunday for Seven Days

With appologies to the campaign for womens liberation, Harriet Harman, Germaine Greer, the Equal opportunities commission and Anne Widdecombe. If only you have been in it Ann you would have been my number 1.
bob
Site Admin

Next

Return to Help Please