Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

SAS Film 1972 Band Member ID Please

Ask other forum member for help and advice on anything to do with Steptoe and Son

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

SAS Film 1972 Band Member ID Please

Postby WildStallion » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:13 pm

Hello all, I have been on a bit of a fruitless crusade for a while now, trying to find out the piece of music and the identity of the band members during the strip scene at the football club. I know the pianist is Lon Satton, as per the credits, but who were the drummer and sax player? Also, was the music called "Crumpet Voluntary", as Mike Reid says in his intro for Zita? Thanks in advance.
WildStallion

Re: SAS Film 1972 Band Member ID Please

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:43 pm

Good question. It’s clear that Lon Satton was not actually playing the piano, he was miming to a playback tape, so it’s natural to assume the rest of the band were too, as demonstrated by the second strip tease at the end of the film: the music is note for note identical. Of the three, only the drummer appears to know what he’s doing, it’s hard to fake that. I’m guessing he was a session player they brought in to pretend, the sax player might’ve also been a proper musician but that’s more difficult to discern. Unfortunately I don’t know either of their names. Chances are very good everyone was simply miming to a performance by jazz pianist/film composer Roy Budd.
The bawdy piece, sorry, musical piece could've been traditional (likely) or original, but I’m guessing “crumpet voluntary” was just Ray and Alan’s clever way of saying “strippers.” Hope that helps and welcome to the forum :).
Last edited by Dirty Old Yank on Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Re: SAS Film 1972 Band Member ID Please

Postby WildStallion » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:52 pm

Thanks for the welcome, I think you're right. I'm a drummer myself, so naturally I was watching him (when not watching Zita!)
WildStallion

Return to Help Please