Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Wilfrid Brambell's autobiography

Ask other forum member for help and advice on anything to do with Steptoe and Son

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Wilfrid Brambell's autobiography

Postby mel » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:09 am

I'm not sure if Wilfrid Brambell's 1976 autobiography All Above Board was ever re-printed as I can't find a copy.Does anyone know where it might be available at a reasonable price?
mel

Re: Wilfrid Brambell's autobiography

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:08 pm

Welcome to the forum Mel.
Unfortunately, Wilfrid’s autobio is only available in cloth. My brief campaign to see it re-printed in paperback was unsuccessful and was obliged to get the hardcover. Finding it at a reasonable price is going to be hit-and-miss, all I can suggest is keep looking everyday; prices can vary frequently and suddenly. Be sure to look on both sides of the pond. Ring used bookshops and put the word out that you’re looking for Wilf’s book, you’re sure to find a copy.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby mel » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:31 pm

I'm in Australia so I'll have to keep trying any second hand book shops or op shops as well as at book fairs that come up from time to time.Failing that I'll have to try the Amazon Marketplace or some other website selling used or rare books.Thank you for the heads-up.
mel

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:58 pm

Public libraries might be a good place to look too; they’re so woefully underfunded up here that many of my best second hand book finds came from library sales. That's how I got my copy, it came from a Welsh library.
Speaking of...have you heard Wilfrid’s performance of the song “Second Hand”? It’s outstanding :).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LFvfltsy2U
Dirty Old Yank

Postby mel » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:30 am

I haven't found a copy yet but I'm still looking.It's not even in many public libraries in Australia if I'm unsuccessful in tracking down my own copy.I had an idea that if I did manage to get hold of a library copy,depending on how many people have borrowed it in the past,could I ask the library if they would consider selling it to me?They can only say no.
mel

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:35 am

Certainly worth a try, I was able to do that successfully once. A local library had an old and very rare Arkham House edition of the collected H. P. Lovecraft, but it was so badly water damaged they agreed to sell it to me.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Uncle Nobby » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:44 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:Certainly worth a try, I was able to do that successfully once. A local library had an old and very rare Arkham House edition of the collected H. P. Lovecraft, but it was so badly water damaged they agreed to sell it to me.

Sanity Check for DOY;-)

Ha, ha, I used to play Call of Cthullu when I was a RPG'er back in the day.
"And you look after those gloves!"
Uncle Nobby

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:05 pm

Uncle Nobby wrote:Sanity Check for DOY;-)
Ha, ha, I used to play Call of Cthullu when I was a RPG'er back in the day.

Sanity Cheek more like (attempts to conceal disturbing gils with alarming tentacles) :mrgreen:.*
That book had been so waterlogged, it really did look like it had come out of mouldering Innsmouth :shock:.
I never played the “Call of Cthulhu” game but people still do, you can check it out @ the H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society: http://www.cthulhulives.org/. Their low budget b/w feature films are quite good, can heartily recommend “The Whisperer In Darkness” (2011, 2 discs, All Regions). Have you seen any of the better known Lovecraft inspired movies, Stuart Gordon's work perhaps? Any favorite Lovecraft stories? :).
If you haven’t seen it, Stuart Gordon’s film “Dagon” (2001) is excellent, very highly recommended though most of it was based on “The Shadow Over Innsmouth,” a favorite tale. It stars the great Francisco (Paco) Rabal and a beautiful young actress called Macarena Gomez who bears a striking resemblance to Barbara Steele.

* Being a humanoid-cephalopod must be a drag sometimes, especially on those formal dress occasions. Every stitch of clothing needing to be tailored, you can’t get a tuxedo off the rack for a thing-fish. That’s what we need....an “Old Ones Clothiers”, fashionable threads at popular prices, for the Shoggoth on the go!
After all, Morticia Addams can knit only so many mad pullovers :o.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Mon May 02, 2016 1:21 pm

Uncle Nobby wrote:...I used to play Call of Cthullu when I was a RPG'er back in the day.

Continuing in the same vein.....ew, reads like a Herbert West exploit :shock:.
Another excellent DVD you might enjoy is the award winning 2009 documentary, “Lovecraft: Fear of the Unknown.”
I don’t know if it’s available Region 2, but well worth looking into (the extra features and extended interviews, with S.T. Joshi et al, are key.) As a Lovecraft fan Uncle Nobby, you might appreciate this true story.....
I knew a chap who lived in a house with a basement, nothing unusual. One day to my great surprise he swung back a bookcase on hinges revealing a hidden locked door and a path winding down, down to a cyclopean, empty and black as pitch sub-basement that immediately evoked “The Case of Charles Dexter Ward,” my favorite Lovecraft tale. To actually experience what I always imagined in H. P.’s fiction ( no, not the sauce, tasty though it is :o ) was extraordinary and while I enjoyed revisiting that subterranean grotto from time to time, I usually didn’t stay long.
What with nothing but an electric torch as defense against, “The Rats in the Walls.” I kid you not.
Dirty Old Yank

Return to Help Please