Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Book Section Anybody?

Ask other forum member for help and advice on anything to do with Steptoe and Son

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Book Section Anybody?

Postby thatsthatthen » Sun May 18, 2008 11:27 pm

As I am now reading my way through everything and anything remotely related to Steptoe and Son (this even includes June Whitfield's autobiography...hell she was in a couple of S&S episodes and then made a series with H so it qualifies) I'd quite like to see a page about the books where folk can post their views and/or reviews.

For example, I started reading the Steptoe and Son book and noticed a mistake and there was nobody who gave a crap I could tell! How frustrating is that?! And the book of the scripts has a number of errors too!

So I'm talking about Hancock, Sykes, Milligan, Howerd, Cooper (am just about finished his biog by John Fisher. One chapter is so laugh-out-loud funny I was banned from reading it on the bus...but of course Galton & Simpson get a mention or two in there).

In the Cooper book there's a funny observation about being a comedian (I think it's credited to favourite funny man Bob Monkhouse) he says:
Being a comedian is the only job that when you do it well they laugh at you and when you mess it up they don't.

Then there could be a death chart showing how actors/comedians die as there are a disproportionate number of them who depart way too soon from heart disease brought on through stress, alcoholism etc and that fascinates me. The suicide rate is interesting too. We could run a tally to see the most common way to go...

OK so perhaps that last idea's a bit morbid - although there was an interesting book out about Hollywood deaths, so at least I know somebody else finds the subject fascinating...
Who did she think she was?
thatsthatthen

Postby Archie » Wed May 21, 2008 3:09 pm

I recently read 'Oooh you Are awful' by Fay Hillier the bio on the late great Dick Emery.

A very good read :o
Archie

Postby thatsthatthen » Fri May 30, 2008 10:21 pm

I'm reading the Steptoe book now. Taking my time with it and watching / listening to the episodes as I go along. It's an interesting book, engagingly written.

Wilfrid's explanation for his squirming while seated in The Bath with the pickled onions is quite shocking, partly for the content but mainly for his choice of language.

He says:

...I had been wriggling and writhing in that bathtub, so I informed him [Duncan Wood] that the reason for these unrehearsed gyrations was that one of the larger pickled onions had bypassed my cache-sexe and insinuated itself into my a nal orifice, and that I was not prepared to leave it there for the remainder of the episode. (page 63)

Urgh! Gives you goosebumps thinking about it.
thatsthatthen

Postby thatsthatthen » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:11 pm

Yesterday I read Yes Man by Danny Wallace.

It was fantastic!

Anyone else read any of his stuff? He worked with Dave Gorman (remember "Are You Dave Gorman?" on the telly?), but Yes Man is far more interesting. After a meeting with a stranger on a bus he sets himself a challenge to "Say Yes More" ... it takes him all over the world.

Wonderful uplifting book and very, very funny.

You just can't put it down ...perhaps because it would mean you were saying "No" to reading on and that contravenes the spirit of the book!
thatsthatthen

Postby bob » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:23 am

My Wife loves his books.

He also has one where he becomes a self appointed leader. Its amazing how many people sign up.
bob
Site Admin

Postby thatsthatthen » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:57 am

Hi Bob

Yeah that one I think is callled Join Me.

I picked it up in a charity shop at the weekend so may read it soon, once I clear the backlog. He's also got one out which sounds a bit like the Pay it Forward film - Random Acts of Kindness or something.

But it is so refreshing to read such original, engaging and entertaining writing.

Wonder how many people ended up saying "Yes" more after reading this book?
thatsthatthen

Postby Rian » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:36 am

I would so love to read a Steptoe book or bio's from Wilfrid or Harry but so far have never had the chance to read any at this moment in time.
Rian

Postby PhilGlass » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:30 pm

I recently bought an old Steptoe script book from ebay and it was very interesting - I assumed they were direct transcripts but there are many major differences, so I wonder if they came form Ray and Alan's original submissions.

There is extra dialogue which did not appear in the programs as well as much more stronger language. Or did the compiler of these change things? They're offical releases as Ray and Alan do the foreword...
PhilGlass

Postby PhilGlass » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:11 pm

I had a thought - what about an e-book section is that possible? People who have interesting Steptoe or related books (I have a couple), perhaps scan, save as a .pdf??

It might make an itneresting section of the site. It's just a thought!
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Return to Help Please