Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Blooper forum?

Ask other forum member for help and advice on anything to do with Steptoe and Son

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Blooper forum?

Postby thrupnybit » Fri May 23, 2008 4:40 pm

Just an idea, dont know if its been covered already but i notice some little mistakes now and again in Steptoe, and think its quite humorous to spot them. I dont consciousness look for them, but sometimes they can be pretty blatant! The mistakes in Hancock's Half Hour are good when he just starts laughing and makes the most of it.

A couple in series 7 of Steptoe i noticed - in Live now Paye later, Harry almosts takes his eye out while twirling 'SUPERWORM, the king of the woodwork!'

And in Men of Letters, when Harry is talking to the vicar, a bizarre noise occurs off-stage, as though someone's dropped something heavy!!
Russ

'Why would I want to touch your thrupnybits for, I got thrupnybits o... of me own...'
thrupnybit

Postby thatsthatthen » Fri May 23, 2008 7:56 pm

Good call!
I love the mistakes!

With Hancock he was allowed to acknowledge the audience in a way that would have ruined S&S, so yeah when he or Sid fluff their lines it adds a new angle and offers an unexpected opportunity for extra humour.

W was notorious for fluffing his lines. Even from the outset, in The Offer the whole dialogue he has about sweets (does he eat lots or does he not???!!) and his teeth...I defy anyone to explain that argument...
Who did she think she was?
thatsthatthen

Postby charlie » Sat May 24, 2008 7:08 pm

Seen the one in TB or not TB,,? H cuts his finger real bad and has to keep his hand in his pocket for the rest of the scene.then when he returns he's got a plaster on it....There's also the mystery door that appears at the bottom of the stairs in one of the early episodes..... must be loads,,,,
Charlie....
charlie

Postby Rian » Sun May 25, 2008 11:24 am

I love the mistakes lol,it feels more real
Rian

Postby thatsthatthen » Mon May 26, 2008 11:06 am

Hey Charlie

I watched TB or Not TB again after reading your post. I would never have noticed H cutting his thumb if you hadn't pointed it out.

What annoys me in that episode is at the end. H returns home from the hospital to find A sitting reading his will. H is furious when A tells him that he has burnt his bed and clothes. We then see them smouldering in the yard ... but H would have passed that on his way in.

Think even he might have recognised his own bed...
thatsthatthen

Postby thrupnybit » Mon May 26, 2008 2:25 pm

Hi guys!
I also watched TB or not TB soon after reading the post - thanks Charlie! Yeah i wouldnt have noticed that either pretty much. His hand goes right over the top of the model, looks nasty! A true professional to carry on as best he can, without needing a re-take or anything. And no way would I have noticed the plaster on his finger in the next scene.
Russ

'Why would I want to touch your thrupnybits for, I got thrupnybits o... of me own...'
thrupnybit

Postby charlie » Fri May 30, 2008 9:45 pm

Glad you noticed it guys ,i thought i was seeing things.I think i've mentioned it before but no-one acknowledged it. It still makes me cringe when i see it,must 've been painful......
charlie

Postby thatsthatthen » Fri May 30, 2008 10:07 pm

Hey Charlie

The Steptoe book actually reports this very accident! I'm reading the book at the moment for the first time ... it's on p150:

However, it wasn't all a bed of roses for Harry H. Corbett. An Accident report reveals that during the recording of the episode, on 5 April 1970, he received a deep laceration to his left thumb: as 'part of the action [corbett was] sticking [a] head on to a broken china figure. The action then called for Wilfrid Brambell to nudge Mr Corbett and knock the head off again. This had worked perfectly on rehearsal but during the take Mr Corbett cut his left thumb on the rough edge of the broken china.' Clearly, the cry of 'Is there a doctor in the house?' was answered that night, for the report explains that a member of the studio audience, Dr McManus, assisted by the duty sister at Television Centre, nursed the wound. The actor, a pro to the end, apparently carried on regardless: 'Mr Corbett continued his performance after which he was taken to Hammersmith Hospital for further treatment.'

Must have been quite serious then eh?

In terms of bloopers, I love it when, in A Death in the Family, Harold enters the living room and the horse's kit (if that's what it was) falls off the back of the door. It kind of gets acknowledged, then they carry on as normal. Wonderful!
thatsthatthen

Postby thrupnybit » Sat May 31, 2008 4:41 pm

I just remembered the scene, also in A Death In The Family, where H brings up Albert's breakfast, sets the tray down and the bottle falls over, and he says, 'Oh Gawd!!'
Russ

thrupnybit

Postby Archie » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:31 pm

[quote="thatsthatthen"]Hey Charlie

The Steptoe book actually reports this very accident! I'm reading the book at the moment for the first time ... it's on p150:

However, it wasn't all a bed of roses for Harry H. Corbett. An Accident report reveals that during the recording of the episode, on 5 April 1970, he received a deep laceration to his left thumb: as 'part of the action [corbett was] sticking [a] head on to a broken china figure. The action then called for Wilfrid Brambell to nudge Mr Corbett and knock the head off again. This had worked perfectly on rehearsal but during the take Mr Corbett cut his left thumb on the rough edge of the broken china.' Clearly, the cry of 'Is there a doctor in the house?' was answered that night, for the report explains that a member of the studio audience, Dr McManus, assisted by the duty sister at Television Centre, nursed the wound. The actor, a pro to the end, apparently carried on regardless: 'Mr Corbett continued his performance after which he was taken to Hammersmith Hospital for further treatment.'

Must have been quite serious then eh?
quote]

Wasn't this incident part of the recent tv drama ?. there is a scene where Harry is holding a cloth or something to an injured thumb :o
Archie

Postby PhilGlass » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:24 pm

There are others - on series 8 when we see 'The Seven Steptoria' the entire house and yard has moved and is now on a cul-de-sac yet it used to be in a built up area as you would see Harold come in off the road that the beginning of many.

The glass panels in the living room door change colour for series 8.

In 'Cuckoo In The Nest' Arthur is referred to as Albert's 'Step' brother, but as he ahs the same father and different mother, he would actually be a half brother.
PhilGlass

Postby PhilGlass » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:44 am

Another one I mentioned elsewhere -

The Bear is alive. It must be because it gets taller - in series 1-4 the Bear is smaller than Albert.

In 5-8 it is far bigger than Albert and in the 1974 Xmas Special, Harold stands under the bear and it is MASSIVE compared to him... I wonder what they were feeding him...

ALSO

What's the name of the second Goldfish?? If you look there are 2 goldfish in the bowl, but we only ever hear of Charlie. But in some episodes there are DEFINITELY two, I'm sure of it, but we never really get a brilliant shot.
PhilGlass

Postby Rian » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:53 pm

Thanks for that Phil,i knew i had seen 2 fish in the bowel before,i thought i was going mad lol
Rian

Postby PhilGlass » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:56 pm

Noticed another one, I just wanted to confirm it - check this one out youhave to look VERY carefully....

Watch 'The Piano'. In the scene where Albert and Harold are moving the piano, when the DVD reaches 19:50 - the point where the bloke who owns the piano has gone out and Harold is telling his dad what to do...

Watch the picture on the wall between Albert and Harold. You see the reflection of someone, and think at first it is the reflection of Harold, but at 19:50 s Harold stretches out his arm, both men are still standing but the reflection in the picture bends down to pick something up... it's one of the crew!! Watch it a couple of times and you will see!!
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Rian » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:17 pm

wow your good at spotting them,im going to watch that tonight Phil
Rian

Next

Return to Help Please