Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Blooper forum?

Ask other forum member for help and advice on anything to do with Steptoe and Son

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Postby thatsthatthen » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:33 pm

Hey Phil

I am so sad I watched The Piano again last night to see the blooper.

You have the eyes of a hawk - well spotted!!

And thanks for inspiring me to watch that wonderful episode again. Him an' his kinky Turkish slippers...
Who did she think she was?
thatsthatthen

Postby Rian » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:23 am

has anyone noticed that "The Piano" is the only ever steptoe episode that does not feature the house.
Rian

Postby PhilGlass » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:25 am

Rian - I had never noticed that!!

When I was at uni I wrote to Ray and Alan and asked them some questions for a project on censorship I was working on and they kindly replied to everything personally and told me a great story about 'The Piano' -

They told me that after it first aired the following morning a question was asked to The Prime Minister in parliament about whether such 'filth' should be allowed on the screen - they were referring to the fact that Harold uses the word 'Bleeding' at the end!! Oh how times have changed!!
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Rian » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:20 pm

oh yeah your so right, if that word was used on tv today no one would bat an eyelid.
Rian

Postby PhilGlass » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:16 pm

I noticed a few more...

On 'The Wooden Overcoats'when Harold is going from his bedroom to see his Dad in the stable, when he is on the landing the 'door' behind the stairs is gone. Either that or it's suddenly a 3 story house with 2 landings. We know the door disappears totally later, but on this episode it is supposed to be there.#

On the 73 Xmas special as the credits play and Harold is with the cart, look carefully and you can see a line of people in the street opposite staring at him, watching the filming.

In the 74 Xmas special,look carefully and a camera is reflected in the window of Harold's number 9 bus!!

I should get out more...
PhilGlass

Postby Rian » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:12 pm

ooh yeah find some more your great at noticing.

What really bugs me and i dont know why lol but in the black and white episodes from series 1 - 4 there is the door behind the staricase (where does that lead too???) and then from series 5 - 8 its dissapeared.

I know it probably is not there becuse of the 5 year break but i was just woundering if anyone knew any more information.
Rian

Postby PhilGlass » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:59 pm

Whats more interesting with the door is how did u get to it? U had to hop over the stairs.
PhilGlass

Postby Rian » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:29 am

I know yeah exactly lol,thats what gets me annoyed sometimes ,How come they put the door there in the first place when it has no purpose and doest not make sense.
Rian

Postby Archie » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:36 pm

That door really is Bizarre ! :shock:
Archie

Postby Rian » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:54 pm

yes it sure is Archie,it bugs me so much im tempted to write up about it lol
Rian

Re: Blooper forum?

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:33 pm

The only major (writing) error I can remember was in the Xmas Special 1974 in which It turns out Steptoe and son was not founded by Albert's father but by his mother ( Ref: The Muffin man scene and the discovery of the birth cert under the stairs and how Albert never knew his Father whilst Harold thought the pic on the wall was him but turned out to be Gladstone, Albert thought he might be of blue blood due to his Mother employer ( A Lord) but realised no when his Mother cried when the Muffin Man died) It also mentioned that his Mother ran the business in that episode but in previous stories Albert always mentioned his father and how he learned his Totting trade from him. :P
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Re:

Postby harryfaversham » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:01 pm

Archie wrote:That door really is Bizarre ! :shock:

Was it actually attached to anything or just junk they had accrued?
"I've never had an x-ray"

"Yes you have! Two years ago when the 'orse kicked you in the cobblers!"
harryfaversham

Postby PhilGlass » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:18 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:The only major (writing) error I can remember was in the Xmas Special 1974 in which It turns out Steptoe and son was not founded by Albert's father but by his mother ( Ref: The Muffin man scene and the discovery of the birth cert under the stairs and how Albert never knew his Father whilst Harold thought the pic on the wall was him but turned out to be Gladstone, Albert thought he might be of blue blood due to his Mother employer ( A Lord) but realised no when his Mother cried when the Muffin Man died) It also mentioned that his Mother ran the business in that episode but in previous stories Albert always mentioned his father and how he learned his Totting trade from him. :P

This was not previously an error - Albert was basically lying all along, as is my understanding.
PhilGlass

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:07 pm

PhilGlass wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:The only major (writing) error I can remember was in the Xmas Special 1974 in which It turns out Steptoe and son was not founded by Albert's father but by his mother ( Ref: The Muffin man scene and the discovery of the birth cert under the stairs and how Albert never knew his Father whilst Harold thought the pic on the wall was him but turned out to be Gladstone, Albert thought he might be of blue blood due to his Mother employer ( A Lord) but realised no when his Mother cried when the Muffin Man died) It also mentioned that his Mother ran the business in that episode but in previous stories Albert always mentioned his father and how he learned his Totting trade from him. :P

This was not previously an error - Albert was basically lying all along, as is my understanding.[/quote

I understand where you're coming from but remember even though he might have been lying to Harold there were many other Totter's, residents of Oil drum lane who Albert knew over the years and knew of Albert's family to whom Harold & Albert dealt with on their rounds who must have been good & bad who might have and could have revealed out of spite the real reigns of Steptoe & son. Prior to Albert taking over from his Father who now we now know he never knew and that is was indeed his Mother running the business revealed in that final Xmas 1974 epsiode when we waved goodbye.

Maybe I was wrong in calling it a writing error. :oops: On thinking, how could I say this with one of the best writing duo Britain has ever seen in Galton & Simpson. Today Scripts are like medical records and fans can trawl through them to see the smallest of error or inconstancy and that's what I think it was a "inconstancy" that's all. After all there not an Item/object on this earth that is perfect. Even the hope diamond has inperfections within it's sparkling walls but Galton & simpson's writing's come close to being what can be described as perfection unlike most I can recall. :P
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:22 pm

Continuity wasn't a Steptoe strong point...and I for one prefer it that way. Every episode was a wild card, could go in almost any direction and often did...even if Albert's compass usually pointed towards Bognor off season :)
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

PreviousNext

Return to Help Please