Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Bargain

Your chance to update other users on forthcoming events. Is a new DVD about to be released ? Any special documentaries planned ? Anything you feel would appeal to Steptoe fans

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Bargain

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:37 pm

Recently bought a great piece of Steptoe Memorabilia. A multi signed 7in Wages of Sin record signed by Galton & Simpson, Harry H Corbett & Wilfrid Brambell. Going to frame this one. 8)


Image
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
User avatar
Ilovesteptoe
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:24 pm
Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Re: Bargain

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:03 pm

Wow, sweet!! The vinyl appears to be in remarkably good condition, even if the signed sleeve has aged a bit.
I’ve got some original old school punk 45’s I framed, safest place for them.
Wish I’d got one of those large, numbered limited edition prints of a scene from The Bath (see my icon) signed by Ray and Alan, when I had the chance. If I remember correctly they were framed in glass and I foolishly thought...
"It'll never make it here in one piece." Hey ho :).
Congrats on such a cool find ILS :o.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
User avatar
Dirty Old Yank
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: A laundrette on the South Col

Re: Bargain

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:38 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:Wow, sweet!! The vinyl appears to be in remarkably good condition, even if the signed sleeve has aged a bit.
I’ve got some original old school punk 45’s I framed, safest place for them.
Wish I’d got one of those large, numbered limited edition prints of a scene from The Bath (see my icon) signed by Ray and Alan, when I had the chance. If I remember correctly they were framed in glass and I foolishly thought...
"It'll never make it here in one piece." Hey ho :).
Congrats on such a cool find ILS :o.


Thanks DOY. Yeah, the record's in good order and the sleeve although a little stained/aged is complete without any tears and all signatures are legible. I bought it from a fellow collector who purchased it from an Auction house hence the lot sticker visible on the first image (actually taken from the Auction Webite). The main attraction was all Harry H and Wilfrid plus Galton & Simpson all together. Pretty rare really.

Funny you should mention the Galton & Simpson signed print of Albert in the Bath. Always wanted one of those. Indeed I have seen a few going on eBay at some really reasonable prices too. Hopefully another will pop up in the foreseeable and I get another chance. :)

Image

As mentioned I wanted to frame it properly, which I have today in fact, so it looks much better and secure under glass ( or in this case perspex) and cost me only £12.78 all in. Not bad really. 8)
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
User avatar
Ilovesteptoe
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:24 pm
Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Re: Bargain

Postby bob » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:28 am

Dear Ilovesteptoe

Perhaps it is the old cynic in me (I'm getting too much like Albert), and I sincerely hope I am wrong, but those autographs look a bit too pristine, and all done with the same pen, to make me think they are genuine.

As I say nothing would make me happier than to be proved wrong, and I hope you really do have a true collector’s item, I just get annoyed that some people buy an ordinary piece of memorabilia and then look to maximise their profit by putting a few moody signatures on it. A bit like Albert drilling a few woodworm holes into a sideboard to make it look older !!!

Anyway let's hope I am just a miserable old bugger. I notice there is a fifth signature on the record - who is it please.

Best

Bob
User avatar
bob
Site Admin
 
Posts: 991
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:04 pm
Location: Bradwell on Sea, Essex

Re: Bargain

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:22 pm

bob wrote:...A bit like Albert drilling a few woodworm holes into a sideboard to make it look older !!! Anyway let's hope I am just a miserable old bugger...

It always kills me laughing, when people much younger than me moan about how old they are. It’s like...dude, you don’t know the half of it. If I could find my spectacles I’d wave my walking stick and growl disingenuously, "grrrrr", "you crazy kids", etc :o.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
User avatar
Dirty Old Yank
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: A laundrette on the South Col

Re: Bargain

Postby bob » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:18 pm

Sorry - you are right

You do call yourself Dirty OLD Yank !!!
User avatar
bob
Site Admin
 
Posts: 991
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:04 pm
Location: Bradwell on Sea, Essex

Re: Bargain

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:32 pm

bob wrote:Dear Ilovesteptoe

Perhaps it is the old cynic in me (I'm getting too much like Albert), and I sincerely hope I am wrong, but those autographs look a bit too pristine, and all done with the same pen, to make me think they are genuine.

As I say nothing would make me happier than to be proved wrong, and I hope you really do have a true collector’s item, I just get annoyed that some people buy an ordinary piece of memorabilia and then look to maximise their profit by putting a few moody signatures on it. A bit like Albert drilling a few woodworm holes into a sideboard to make it look older !!!

Anyway let's hope I am just a miserable old bugger. I notice there is a fifth signature on the record - who is it please.

Best

Bob


Bob, you're correct to highlight this, although I did obtain it through a legit avenue. I've checked and cross checked the autos with similar one on the net and they look genuine to me. Regarding a fifth signature mentioned. There's only four what I can see. The one you think is a fifth reads "God Bless" then Harry H Corbett beneath.
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
User avatar
Ilovesteptoe
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:24 pm
Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Re: Bargain

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:56 am

bob wrote:Sorry - you are right
You do call yourself Dirty OLD Yank !!!

I hope my post didn’t offend you Bob, I was just kidding, wasn’t taking the mickey.
Dunno bout you, but I'm grateful to be old enough to remember percolated coffee, pewter, and casual relations without having to worry about STD's. And anyhow, it aint like I’m Rip Van Winkle old. When I think of proper old...
I’m often reminded of films like “Wrestling Ernest Hemingway” (1993) and a scene where an elderly Richard Harris poignantly says to a child, “You take your time, because these summer days may go slow, but the years...they fly by.” The film is a masterpiece. And “Bubba Ho-Tep” (2003) where Bruce Campbell plays an ailing Elvis living in an old age home, with the late, great Ossie Davis co-starring. A surprisingly good movie, worth looking for. And of course episodes like “Homes Fit For Heroes” and “Seven Steptoerai.”
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
User avatar
Dirty Old Yank
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: A laundrette on the South Col

Re: Bargain

Postby bob » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:59 pm

AHHH See you are not as old as you think !!

You can remember many things - when you are really old like me, you can remember bugger all "!!!!!!! :D
User avatar
bob
Site Admin
 
Posts: 991
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:04 pm
Location: Bradwell on Sea, Essex

Re: Bargain

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:51 pm

bob wrote:...you think !!...:D

Cogito ergo sum...mat or other :o.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
User avatar
Dirty Old Yank
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: A laundrette on the South Col


Return to Share your news

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron

 

 

Testing