Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

RIP Frank Finlay 1926-2016

An opportunity to share some memories of our TV, Radio and Film stars who have gone to that Great Rag and Bone Yard in the Sky !

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

RIP Frank Finlay 1926-2016

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:32 pm

Sadly today its been announced that actor Frank Finlay died aged 89 yrs old. Famous for his vast theatre, film & TV work he will best remembered for his vast roles especially the three musketeers as Porthos, his Bafta nominated role in Othello as Iago (1965), and for playing the terrifying Jacob Marley Ghost in George c Scott's version of A Christmas Carol (1984). :|

Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Re: RIP Frank Finlay 1926-2016

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:18 pm

A truly remarkable actor, iconic really. I knew and enjoyed his work in “Lifeforce”(1985), and as Porthos in the Musketeer movies of the mid-1970’s, but I’ll always remember him best as the hilariously fanatical “Witchsmeller Pursuivant” (aka “old big nose”) in Blackadder. Very sad news indeed.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Uncle Nobby » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:09 pm

He also played the Padre in Wild Geese.

RIP.
"And you look after those gloves!"
Uncle Nobby

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:51 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:A truly remarkable actor, iconic really. I knew and enjoyed his work in “Lifeforce”(1985), and as Porthos in the Musketeer movies of the mid-1970’s, but I’ll always remember him best as the hilariously fanatical “Witchsmeller Pursuivant” (aka “old big nose”) in Blackadder. Very sad news indeed.

Yeah, he was great as the Witchsmeller Pursuivant in the first series episode four of Blackadder. My favourite series out of the four in fact. :)
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:25 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:Yeah, he was great as the Witchsmeller Pursuivant in the first series episode four of Blackadder. My favourite series out of the four in fact. :)

Agreed! Why the first season of Blackadder wasn’t a hit (or so we’re told) remains a mystery, it really is excellent.
So much writing and characterizations that just can’t beat; Brian Blessed’s ‘Richard IV’ bluster and flannel, Miriam Margolyes’ ‘Infanta’ drooling promiscuity, Rik Mayall's 'Mad Gerald' (in which he's credited as "himself"), so many more brilliant performances, great fun :o.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Uncle Nobby » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:02 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:Yeah, he was great as the Witchsmeller Pursuivant in the first series episode four of Blackadder. My favourite series out of the four in fact. :)

Agreed! Why the first season of Blackadder wasn’t a hit (or so we’re told) remains a mystery, it really is excellent.
So much writing and characterizations that just can’t beat; Brian Blessed’s ‘Richard IV’ bluster and flannel, Miriam Margolyes’ ‘Infanta’ drooling promiscuity, Rik Mayall's 'Mad Gerald' (in which he's credited as "himself"), so many more brilliant performances, great fun :o.

Also Peter Cook as the King that Edmund The Black Adder mistakenly kills :lol:
"And you look after those gloves!"
Uncle Nobby

Postby Ivor Biggun » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:08 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:

And Rik Mayall returned later as Lord Flashheart. Flash by name, Flash by nature. LoL.
I thought we'd nick a wreath off one of the graves as we went in.
Ivor Biggun

Return to RIP - In Memoriam