Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

RIP Tony Burton 1937 - 2016

An opportunity to share some memories of our TV, Radio and Film stars who have gone to that Great Rag and Bone Yard in the Sky !

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

RIP Tony Burton 1937 - 2016

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:43 pm

Sadly announced is the death of ex Baseball player come boxer come actor Tony Burton of Rocky fame aged 78yrs. Best known for playing Apollo Creed's trainer (Carl Weathers) in Sylvester Stallone's Rocky (1976) and in the spin-off film Creed. He also was in many other films which included The Shining (1980), Stir Crazy (1980), Hook (1991) to name a few of his 24 film appearances. RIP. :|

Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Re: RIP Tony Burton 1937 - 2016

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:04 am

Although a small part, his presence in Kubrick’s “The Shining” is unmistakable and unforgettable, no mean feat. Renting the snowcat to Scatman Crothers (who gets an axe in the chest for his trouble) that saves the lives of Shelly Duvall and Danny Lloyd. That’s the last thing a person needs yeah? You can’t sleep because your entire career at the Overlook Hotel has been dogged by waking nightmares, it’s 50 below C, you’re jet lagged, just arrived after 18 hours in a blizzard behind the wheel of a snowcat, completely blinkered with exhaustion, scarcely able to walk, and out pops Jack Nicholson with an axe. Dunno bout you, but at that point I’d probably run towards the axe.
Recently got a few Richard Pryor/Gene Wilder movies including "Stir Crazy", must look for Burton tonight. RIP.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:46 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:Although a small part, his presence in Kubrick’s “The Shining” is unmistakable and unforgettable, no mean feat. Renting the snowcat to Scatman Crothers (who gets an axe in the chest for his trouble) that saves the lives of Shelly Duvall and Danny Lloyd. That’s the last thing a person needs yeah? You can’t sleep because your entire career at the Overlook Hotel has been dogged by waking nightmares, it’s 50 below C, you’re jet lagged, just arrived after 18 hours in a blizzard behind the wheel of a snowcat, completely blinkered with exhaustion, scarcely able to walk, and out pops Jack Nicholson with an axe. Dunno bout you, but at that point I’d probably run towards the axe.
Recently got a few Richard Pryor/Gene Wilder movies including "Stir Crazy", must look for Burton tonight. RIP.

It's sad to heart of his death. He was a versatile actor. :|

Stephen King got actors into his films he liked, and with Tony Burton he had a fine actor for his film Shining. He also made me laugh in the classic Stir Crazy film mentioned, in which he attempted to punch Richard Pryor after he aped that man searching searching for flies, then decided to hit Pryor, missed him, hitting instead that mountain of a man square in the chops flattening his cigarette lol. He then proceeded to gave him his treasured joint nervously as a peacemaker hoping he'd come out of it alive lol. :)
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Postby Uncle Nobby » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:02 am

RIP Tony Burton.

He was good in Stir Crazy.
"And you look after those gloves!"
Uncle Nobby

Return to RIP - In Memoriam