Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Umberto Eco

An opportunity to share some memories of our TV, Radio and Film stars who have gone to that Great Rag and Bone Yard in the Sky !

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Umberto Eco

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:46 pm

Deeply saddened to learn of Umberto Eco’s passing.
His incredible C.V. is too long to list here, but most will remember him as author of “The Name Of The Rose” (1980) and “Foucault’s Pendulum” (1988). If you enjoyed Name Of The Rose, check out Elias Canetti’s “Auto-da-Fé” (1935). It too features an obsessive bibliophile and the horror of a burning library.
http://www.umbertoeco.com/en/.
The Name of the Rose was a profound influence, I hadn’t read anything quite like that since Tolkien. Will never forget the excitement, sitting in a popcorn infested cinema waiting for the film version with Sean Connery to begin. I was delighted with the picture, some weren’t. All one could do was remind them of the appropriately self effacing title card that described the film as “a palimpsest” of the novel. The DVD has an edited scene with the brilliant William Hickey as Ubertino de Casale and restores the film to 131 min.
Last edited by Dirty Old Yank on Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Re: Umberto Eco

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:33 pm

Very sad. Good writer. RIP. :|
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Re: Umberto Eco

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:31 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:...Good writer.

In addition to being one of the most important intellects of the 20th Century and by all accounts a very funny, thoroughly nice chap. Needless to say the two don’t always mesh, intellect and reason. Which, it might be argued,
is a key premise of Name of the Rose and Auto-da-Fé. Sorry to lay it on thick but...obviously I’m very fond of Eco and Canetti. If you haven’t already, you really should read those 2 novels, they’re especially good. Time not wasted.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Return to RIP - In Memoriam