Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

My Aunt

An opportunity to share some memories of our TV, Radio and Film stars who have gone to that Great Rag and Bone Yard in the Sky !

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

My Aunt

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:37 pm

There’s a seemingly odd dichotomy when people we’re very close to, who spent most of their lives laughing, pass on. This may be a tired theme but unlike most cliches it’s true: there’s no shame in a grown man weeping, quite the contrary. Beware those persons that cannot or will not weep and crocodile tears aren’t difficult to recognize. When my best mate passed on not so many years back, it’s not that I chose not to cry or didn’t want to.....it just wasn't appropriate, since all we did was laugh like hyenas all the time, bless him. My Aunt was the same, she passed on yesterday. Dear gal, she married one of the funniest guys on the planet and together they were a riot!
Will never forget the non-stop burlesque jokes that had elderly family members doubled over laughing so hard they’d gasp for air. Was just a child but I’d stand back and wonder, “...is this wise?”
Of course it was.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Re: My Aunt

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:34 pm

Condolences DOY. Nice eulogy. :|
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:22 pm

Cheers ILS. They really were an extraordinary couple, my Aunt & Uncle. They traditionally hosted family celebrations and their largess was incredible, the table groaning. Medical malpractice took him and it looks like something equally irresponsible took her but I’ll not dwell on that, for now. As a Pagan (not to be confused with Wiccan, nice folks though they are) it’s always awkward having to speak of good folks that have passed on in the past tense, it intuitively feels.....disrespectful. As does the phrase, “rest in peace”, an expression that suggests an inescapable finality when in fact, nobody really knows.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Archie » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:58 pm

Yes condolences DOY.
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:05 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:Cheers ILS. They really were an extraordinary couple, my Aunt & Uncle. They traditionally hosted family celebrations and their largess was incredible, the table groaning. Medical malpractice took him and it looks like something equally irresponsible took her but I’ll not dwell on that, for now. As a Pagan (not to be confused with Wiccan, nice folks though they are) it’s always awkward having to speak of good folks that have passed on in the past tense, it intuitively feels.....disrespectful. As does the phrase, “rest in peace”, an expression that suggests an inescapable finality when in fact, nobody really knows.

We all are finite sadly. Only the few leave their mark on this world, and the ones who do are special people indeed like your aunty & uncle, in my case my dad. Not for what they've done, but for who they are, rich or poor, we all have it within us to leave our own indelible mark. Personally I don't follow a religion. Never have. But am spiritual. There is so many clues in nature which leads me to assume that this isn't it. We all move on to somewhere else. Call it another level on consciousness. Comforting really. :)
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Return to RIP - In Memoriam