Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

George the taxi driver

An opportunity to share some memories of our TV, Radio and Film stars who have gone to that Great Rag and Bone Yard in the Sky !

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

George the taxi driver

Postby Archie » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:48 pm

Forgive my personal indulgence here but I heard terrible news today.
'George' a local taxi driver and handyman who could turn his hand to practically anything, passed away suddenly from a heart attack. He was the kind of guy who would help anyone out. Despite having known him for a decade I never knew his second name !.
I was a passenger in his taxi many times and he carried out some work at the house laying slabs and trimming trees etc over the years.
Things were looking good he had recently taken on a couple of drivers and bought a nice town house, he was a fit man - but this shows you never know what the future has in store.

He was only 60 and leaves a wife and couple of sons.

RIP George
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Re: George the taxi driver

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:54 pm

That's sad to hear. Ironic in a way. We all note when celebrities pass forgetting that these are unattainable faces on the box, where the ones who are such as Taxi driver George are forgotten solely because they aren't deemed famous enough, but do equally good service to their communities, if not better. Very touching post Archie. Commendable. :|
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:37 pm

Very sorry to learn of your friend’s passing, Archie. Aye, most sincere condolences.
That you didn’t know his full name demonstrates that trust isn’t as rare a commodity as fear mongering tabloids would have us all believe. And well said ILS; when good honest hard working folks pass on, and some self appointed arbiters decide the recently departed don’t merit mention because they’re not celebrities, that is unimaginably insensitive. And it’s a relatively new phenomena too: wasn’t so long ago when personalized obit columns were commonplace, that of course was when print journalism still existed. Newspapers are virtually extinct now.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Archie » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:45 pm

Thanks for the comments guys, this morning I put the Jag into the garage to get a new water pump and pipes fitted.
The train journey back was awful and I said to mum, I'm not going on the train tomorrow when I go to collect the car I'll phone George to take me - - - it just shows how you get to depend on someone.
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Return to RIP - In Memoriam