Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

RIP Mohammed Ali 1942 - 2016.

An opportunity to share some memories of our TV, Radio and Film stars who have gone to that Great Rag and Bone Yard in the Sky !

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

RIP Mohammed Ali 1942 - 2016.

Postby Uncle Nobby » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:01 pm

RIP Mohammed Ali!

A great sportsman and political activist.

He was the Greatest!
"And you look after those gloves!"
Uncle Nobby

Re: RIP Mohammed Ali 1942 - 2016.

Postby PhilGlass » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:08 pm

I am still in shock, even though we all knew it was imminent. People are saying Ali was an inspiration to black people. This is an insult to him...

He was an inspiration to ALL people and that is what he stood for. I always admired him as a mam because he made a difference in this world. The fact that he was the greatest boxer ever to walk the planet is a mere added bonus

He would have been a world champion whatever he did. Sad news.
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:19 pm

He was not only a superb boxer, personality, but a fighter for justice for black people who in the 60s were persecuted solely for the colour of their skin. Yes, he wasn't undefeated in his career like some other greats i.e Rocky Marciano & Joe Calzaghi ect... but unlike most boxers he fought under such duress but excelled due to his character, quick witted personality and shear will to fight bigotry and to right wrongs. A great man who was sadly taken too early aged 74yrs by that terrible disease Parkinson's. :|
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:35 am

It’s common knowledge that Ali’s introduction to Malcolm X resulted in changing his name from Cassius Clay.
But less well known is that brilliant and beloved stand-up comedian Redd Foxx, who portrayed the Yank version of Albert Steptoe was a mate of Malcolm’s too, when they were just kids working railroad cars. Paraphrasing here but in his autobiography, Malcolm described Redd as ‘...the funniest dishwasher I’ve ever met’. Interesting to note, in the second season of Sanford and Son an episode titled “Lamont Goes African” (1972) examined the subject of Black Pride as devils advocate in hilarious and compassionate detail. Arguably one of the best and most daring original Sanford scripts, it mirrors Albert and Harold's relationship very closely and well worth 23 min of your time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P6Ht4eg_pI. Look for talented actress Paula Kelly, cor was she fit :o.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:48 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:It’s common knowledge that Ali’s introduction to Malcolm X resulted in changing his name from Cassius Clay.
But less well known is that brilliant and beloved stand-up comedian Redd Foxx, who portrayed the Yank version of Albert Steptoe was a mate of Malcolm’s too, when they were just kids working railroad cars. Paraphrasing here but in his autobiography, Malcolm described Redd as ‘...the funniest dishwasher I’ve ever met’. Interesting to note, in the second season of Sanford and Son an episode titled “Lamont Goes African” (1972) examined the subject of Black Pride as devils advocate in hilarious and compassionate detail. Arguably one of the best and most daring original Sanford scripts, it mirrors Albert and Harold's relationship very closely and well worth 23 min of your time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P6Ht4eg_pI. Look for talented actress Paula Kelly, cor was she fit :o.

Fascinating trivia about Ali and Redd Fox DOY. Thanks for the link too. :)
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Return to RIP - In Memoriam