Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

UK Monster Club Quad Poster (1980)

Your chance to update other users on forthcoming events. Is a new DVD about to be released ? Any special documentaries planned ? Anything you feel would appeal to Steptoe fans

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

UK Monster Club Quad Poster (1980)

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:46 pm

Just obtained a wonderful 30x40in original classic horror cinema quad poster from the cult film Monster Club (1980). It's in wonderful condition for it's 36yrs too (see pics). As with all my vintage original quad/day-bill posters they are located for now in the same 30x40 frame for storage but hopefully soon I will start to locate each one in their own individual frames which I'm beginning to buy at great cost. Thought I'd share it with you all. Enjoy. 8)

Image

Image
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
User avatar
Ilovesteptoe
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:24 pm
Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Re: UK Monster Club Quad Poster (1980)

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:25 am

Congrats yet again ILS, Roy Ward Baker and Milton Subotsky’s last credits, haven’t seen the film. At this rate you’ll be hanging frames from the ceiling which would look pretty cool actually, unless your ceilings are vaulted, Middle Ages style :o. I realize Monster Club wasn't an Amicus production but as an aside, it’s a shame the company didn’t end so amicably. Paraphrasing here, but when a friend asked Subotsky what happened with his lawsuit against former partner Max Rosenberg he replied, ‘As you'd expect, we won and the lawyers took all the money’.
Here’s a Guardian piece about Amicus you might find interesting: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2009/feb/13/british-horror-film-studio-amicus.
A humourless piece that begs the question.....why are so many British “journalists” such a deeply unhappy lot, more often than not arbitrarily trashing everything in sight while insulting the dead? More than mere “cult movies”, most Amicus pictures were hugely popular with audiences worldwide, the participants remember them fondly too.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
User avatar
Dirty Old Yank
 
Posts: 1359
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: A laundrette on the South Col

Re: UK Monster Club Quad Poster (1980)

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:03 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:Congrats yet again ILS, Roy Ward Baker and Milton Subotsky’s last credits, haven’t seen the film. At this rate you’ll be hanging frames from the ceiling which would look pretty cool actually, unless your ceilings are vaulted, Middle Ages style :o. I realize Monster Club wasn't an Amicus production but as an aside, it’s a shame the company didn’t end so amicably. Paraphrasing here, but when a friend asked Subotsky what happened with his lawsuit against former partner Max Rosenberg he replied, ‘As you'd expect, we won and the lawyers took all the money’.
Here’s a Guardian piece about Amicus you might find interesting: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2009/feb/13/british-horror-film-studio-amicus.
A humourless piece that begs the question.....why are so many British “journalists” such a deeply unhappy lot, more often than not arbitrarily trashing everything in sight while insulting the dead? More than mere “cult movies”, most Amicus pictures were hugely popular with audiences worldwide, the participants remember them fondly too.


Thanks DOY. Yeah it looks amazing and love the graphics of this. I did some research online about the artist after I bought it and didn't realize he had to alter his design after film bigwigs said it was too dark in colour & theme. I saw it for sale and just had to have it as this film even though not an Amicus production is one of the best dark humour horror comedies around. It's up their with Amicus's Doctor Terror's House of Horror, House That Dripped Blood, Tales From The Crypt and Asylum. 8)

As said to you that I was intending to buy large frames, which I did, but on receiving them were defective so I'm in the process of sending them back. It's a right pain in the butt that, going through the eBay returns process, but ironically after I bought those defective frames on eBay I contacted a frame company after searching the net for 13x30 inch frames. They are so difficult to buy off the shelf on Ebay/Amazon? Anyway, as said contacted this firm and they said they make frames to order. So I had them make me 6x 13x30 frames costing me £138.98. Had them today, 2 days after ordering them too, and they are stunningly well made and fitted the posters like a glove. Very happy. So I might contact them again to ask if they'll make some for me after I get my money back from the seller on eBay. :)

(P/S) Thanks for the link. Very interesting too. :P
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
User avatar
Ilovesteptoe
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:24 pm
Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Re: UK Monster Club Quad Poster (1980)

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:24 am

Ilovesteptoe wrote:...(P/S) Thanks for the link. Very interesting too. :P

Found while researching my first reply, that third rate excuse for a tabloid piece not only trashed Amicus but repeatedly attacked Milton Subotsky’s intelligence and character; more than a little insulting to readers and to those that knew him. Besides, to not laugh with those movies is to miss the joke entirely.
Needless to say, despite cliches to the contrary there is an accounting for taste and though “Asylum”* is popular with fans, it’s one of my least favorite Amicus portmanteaus. A contributing factor might be Douglas Gamley being given full credit for the score, while lengthy excerpts from Ravel's orchestral version of “Pictures at an Exhibition” are clearly heard throughout the film but conspicuously isn't mentioned. In fact, Gamley is credited with a gigantic card claiming he "Composed, Orchestrated and Conducted" the music, as if he were Mussorgsky himself. Upsetting too is Peter Cushing being cast as a man in mourning when in fact he was, unlike his role as Grimsdyke in Tales From the Crypt, it feels exploitative and opportunistic, but as always his presence is a saving grace as is dear Catweazle, Geoffrey Bayldon. Funnily enough my situation is the exact opposite of yours, I’ve loads of wooden frames of all sizes, all got for free but lack the posters to put in them.
Walls are the place for books really, tomes in all directions with rolling ladders reaching to dizzying heights :o.
Acrophobic bibliophiles must find those environments incredibly frustrating.
* Marketing geniuses this side of the pond retitled the picture "House of Crazies" :roll:.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
User avatar
Dirty Old Yank
 
Posts: 1359
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: A laundrette on the South Col

Re: UK Monster Club Quad Poster (1980)

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:38 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:...(P/S) Thanks for the link. Very interesting too. :P

Found while researching my first reply, that third rate excuse for a tabloid piece not only trashed Amicus but repeatedly attacked Milton Subotsky’s intelligence and character; more than a little insulting to readers and to those that knew him. Besides, to not laugh with those movies is to miss the joke entirely.
Needless to say, despite cliches to the contrary there is an accounting for taste and though “Asylum”* is popular with fans, it’s one of my least favorite Amicus portmanteaus. A contributing factor might be Douglas Gamley being given full credit for the score, while lengthy excerpts from Ravel's orchestral version of “Pictures at an Exhibition” are clearly heard throughout the film but conspicuously isn't mentioned. In fact, Gamley is credited with a gigantic card claiming he "Composed, Orchestrated and Conducted" the music, as if he were Mussorgsky himself. Upsetting too is Peter Cushing being cast as a man in mourning when in fact he was, unlike his role as Grimsdyke in Tales From the Crypt, it feels exploitative and opportunistic, but as always his presence is a saving grace as is dear Catweazle, Geoffrey Bayldon. Funnily enough my situation is the exact opposite of yours I’ve loads of wooden frames of all sizes, all got for free but lack the posters to put in them.
Walls are the place for books really, tomes in all directions with rolling ladders reaching to dizzying heights :o.
Acrophobic bibliophiles must find those environments incredibly frustrating.
* Marketing geniuses this side of the pond retitled the picture "House of Crazies" :roll:.


DOY, to be honest I take no notice of trashy tabloid journalists. See interesting doesn't mean that it has intellectual or factual merit. What do they know about what's good & bad about films. They most likely haven't it seen themselves but have an opinion on it. I prefer to read fellow horror fans opinions and ones who know what they're talking about. Horror to them is like a barman forgetting to place an olive in their gin and tonic. :roll:

I'm surprised Asylum wasn't one of your favourites? I liked it. You mentioned the wonderful Peter Cushing who played the kind old man/widow Grimdyke who made/repaired toys for the local children who was tormented to the point of suicide by the local snobbery in Vault Of Horror. He came to a sticky end (he laughs Mwwwhhhaa :twisted: ). Also Geoffrey Bayldon performance as the would-be doctor come crazy hence the old saying Lunatics running the Asylum. In this case they really do lol. To be honest the whole Amicus franchise has merits and yes some flaws, but what they produced in such a short period is borderline amazing. Can't believe they made 27 films ranging from their first production called "It's Trad, Dad (1962) a jazz teen music film with Helen Shapiro", the Sci Fi classic " Doctor Who And The Daleks (1965)" and Doug Maclure's "The Land That Time Forgot (1974)" & "People That Time Forgot (1977)". What a variety & genres of films. :)

Re frames. Wish I had you problem lol. No, I've massed quite a collection as you know not realising the cost it takes to display them. Sometimes I think have I taken on too much. Quite stressful this collecting malarkey. :shock:
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
User avatar
Ilovesteptoe
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:24 pm
Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Re: UK Monster Club Quad Poster (1980)

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:52 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:...Horror to them is like a barman forgetting to place an olive in their gin and tonic. :roll:

(Beldar Conehead flies into a monotone rage at the barman with extraterrestrial nasality.....)
“Whaaaat?! No olive in alco-carbo-beverage? Mebs! Mebs! Unacceptable! If I did not fear incarceration by human authority figures I would terminate your life functions by applying sufficient pressure to your blunt skull so as to cause its collapse!” Sorry for the Conehead moment but I found the DVD in a charity shop yesterday and haven’t seen it in years, a cheesy movie but has its moments :o. I didn’t believe you’d take that trashy news item seriously, was just expanding on my post. Agreed, there’s no question that Amicus pictures could be a bit dodgy sometimes but the occasional unintentional hilarity lends to their charm. Example, have you seen their 1967 film “They Came From Beyond Space”? In it the protagonists protect themselves from alien mind control by placing metal colanders over their heads :roll:. An Amicus fan yes but “Asylum” just wasn’t my cup of tea, hey ho. By the way, Cushing played Grimsdyke in Tales From the Crypt, not Vault of Horror. The zombie make-up they gave Peter was surprisingly good wasn’t it, a stand-out moment 8).
Ilovesteptoe wrote:...He came to a sticky end (he laughs Mwwwhhhaa :twisted: ).

I don’t know what the formula is for ‘kensington gore’ but over here movie blood typically had a syrup base.
Karo syrup, coffee and red food dye.....very sticky indeed, unpleasantly so :shock:.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
User avatar
Dirty Old Yank
 
Posts: 1359
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: A laundrette on the South Col

Re: UK Monster Club Quad Poster (1980)

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:29 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:...Horror to them is like a barman forgetting to place an olive in their gin and tonic. :roll:

(Beldar Conehead flies into a monotone rage at the barman with extraterrestrial nasality.....)
“Whaaaat?! No olive in alco-carbo-beverage? Mebs! Mebs! Unacceptable! If I did not fear incarceration by human authority figures I would terminate your life functions by applying sufficient pressure to your blunt skull so as to cause its collapse!” Sorry for the Conehead moment but I found the DVD in a charity shop yesterday and haven’t seen it in years, a cheesy movie but has its moments :o. I didn’t believe you’d take that trashy news item seriously, was just expanding on my post. Agreed, there’s no question that Amicus pictures could be a bit dodgy sometimes but the occasional unintentional hilarity lends to their charm. Example, have you seen their 1967 film “They Came From Beyond Space”? In it the protagonists protect themselves from alien mind control by placing metal colanders over their heads :roll:. An Amicus fan yes but “Asylum” just wasn’t my cup of tea, hey ho. By the way, Cushing played Grimsdyke in Tales From the Crypt, not Vault of Horror. The zombie make-up they gave Peter was surprisingly good wasn’t it, a stand-out moment 8).
Ilovesteptoe wrote:...He came to a sticky end (he laughs Mwwwhhhaa :twisted: ).

I don’t know what the formula is for ‘kensington gore’ but over here movie blood typically had a syrup base.
Karo syrup, coffee and red food dye.....very sticky indeed, unpleasantly so :shock:.


Firstly oops regarding stating Peter Cushing's character Grimsdyke was in Tales from the Crypt. Just realised my error which is a tad embarrassing, but in my defence haven't seen it in a few years. :oops: Of Course you're right. It was Tales of the Crypt not Vault of Horror, doh!! Talking Tales of the Crypt for a moment. That is another classic which features in one story Tom Baker aka Doctor Who as that artist conned by dealers. It featured the one and only Denholm Elliot ( Trading Places) who comes to an unfortunate ending when his portrait is cursed by Tom after he finds out his paintings are highly valuable in London, who then travels from Haiti to confront him but gets threatened, his revenge is a voodoo curse to all who took advantage of him , and whenever it gets damage they come to an unfortunate end in an accident. Well so does old Tom Baker who comes to realise this at the end with a pot of paint thinner to the face. What a superb film, especially that final image of them all wandering aimless out of that crypt to their final resting places in the foggy cemetery. 8)

Re blood. Take Tales from the Crypt. Remember the blood scene in the first classic atmospheric story called "And All Through the House" that featured Joan Collins killing her poor husband for his insurance on Christmas eve? I've never seen such fake looking blood in my life. She bangs him over the head, in a house mind that has a white carpet, with a 6yr old upstairs awaiting Santa. She proceeds to split his skull open when he reads the paper, and what spills out? The blood that looked more like red water you get when you wash your paint brush in a jam jar. :roll:
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
User avatar
Ilovesteptoe
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:24 pm
Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Re: UK Monster Club Quad Poster (1980)

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:46 am

Ilovesteptoe wrote:Firstly oops...

Why, what have you done :shock:. You’ve reminded me of that hilarious bit in ‘Carry On Camping’ where Betty Marsden and Terry Scott are riding their bicycle-built-for-two along a country road. As they approach Charles Hawtry who’s on foot, she cheerfully shouts, “Keep off the road, keep off the road!” to which he replies in his inimitable style, “Why, what have you done madame?” :o. Sacking Charlie Hawtry from the Carry On's was such a huge mistake.
In an interview, Trevor Cooper (clapper/loader on 'Tales From the Crypt') said that white rug was a point of contention between Freddie Francis who wanted the camera to see kensington gore, and production people who were more concerned with having to purchase a stained (alpaca?) rug, as opposed to just renting a clean one.
Stage blood at that time more closely resembled melted red crayon than anything else, which may be one reason why BBFC and MPAA didn’t kick up a bigger fuss. These days MPAA censors have become so preposterously desperate to legitimize their existence, they now actually itemize anything whatsoever that might trigger the backward sensibilities of the puritanical and parents who lack the time/inclination to raise their own children.
Not content with warnings of “language”, “violence” or “sexual” content, MPAA now alerts DVD consumers to the perils of, and I quote, “slime” :roll:. I kid you not.
Another favorite bit from ‘Vault of Horror’, Arthur Mullard as the cemetery night watchman, brilliant :D.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
User avatar
Dirty Old Yank
 
Posts: 1359
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: A laundrette on the South Col

Re: UK Monster Club Quad Poster (1980)

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:49 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:Firstly oops...

Why, what have you done :shock:. You’ve reminded me of that hilarious bit in ‘Carry On Camping’ where Betty Marsden and Terry Scott are riding their bicycle-built-for-two along a country road. As they approach Charles Hawtry who’s on foot, she cheerfully shouts, “Keep off the road, keep off the road!” to which he replies in his inimitable style, “Why, what have you done madame?” :o. Sacking Charlie Hawtry from the Carry On's was such a huge mistake.
In an interview, Trevor Cooper (clapper/loader on 'Tales From the Crypt') said that white rug was a point of contention between Freddie Francis who wanted the camera to see kensington gore, and production people who were more concerned with having to purchase a stained (alpaca?) rug, as opposed to just renting a clean one.
Stage blood at that time more closely resembled melted red crayon than anything else, which may be one reason why BBFC and MPAA didn’t kick up a bigger fuss. These days MPAA censors have become so preposterously desperate to legitimize their existence, they now actually itemize anything whatsoever that might trigger the backward sensibilities of the puritanical and parents who lack the time/inclination to raise their own children.
Not content with warnings of “language”, “violence” or “sexual” content, MPAA now alerts DVD consumers to the perils of, and I quote, “slime” :roll:. I kid you not.
Another favorite bit from ‘Vault of Horror’, Arthur Mullard as the cemetery night watchman, brilliant :D.


No. I was mad at myself. There's me confidently arguing in detail that so-called journalists who review classic horror films/makers of said franchise haven't got a clue, who are ignorant of the fact/facts , and I myself make a cock-up by quoting the wrong movie as I did. It's called not checking my information was factual before opening ones gob. I firmly put my foot in my mouth with that faux pas, or should I say foot pas to be more apt. :oops:

Talking censorship. Crumbs, some of the banned films in the 70s are tame to the guts n gore now shown to audiences. Even more so the language and nudity? I've never seen so many boobies hanging out in films since I saw an episode of David Attenborough's series Life On Earth featuring a flock of greater spotted tits en route to Africa. :shock:

Re Vault Of Horror. Funny you mention the great Arthur Mullard. The very night I replied last coincidentally the Horror Channel in the UK was showing, yes you've guessed it, Vault of Horror lol. Seen that story and Mullard smacking that unfortunate insurance scammer Maitland (Michael Craig) after he awakes in his coffin is bludgeoned to death with him apologising to horrified Tom & Jerry (Robin Nedwell & Geoffrey Davies from the classic Doctor Series) who was part of the scam for damaging the head was hilarious lol. :P
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
User avatar
Ilovesteptoe
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:24 pm
Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Re: UK Monster Club Quad Poster (1980)

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:25 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:Re Vault Of Horror. Funny you mention the great Arthur Mullard. The very night I replied last coincidentally the Horror Channel in the UK was showing, yes you've guessed it, Vault of Horror lol. Seen that story and Mullard smacking that unfortunate insurance scammer Maitland (Michael Craig) after he awakes in his coffin is bludgeoned to death with him apologising to horrified Tom & Jerry (Robin Nedwell & Geoffrey Davies from the classic Doctor Series) who was part of the scam for damaging the head was hilarious lol. :P

A question ILS, about ‘Vault of Horror’ which you’ve just seen on telly.....I’ve got 2 versions of the film and in both the vampire scenes have been clumsily edited, as if somebody clobbered the Moviola with sledgehammer. Instead of seeing Daniel Massey struggling with a beer tap in his jugular, these neutered versions immediately cut to a very brief still-photo. The (appointed, not elected so they’re not responsible to consumers) geniuses at censor boards apparently found that hilarious and remarkably tame scene too shocking to witness :roll:.
Is that scene intact in the British version, or has the footage been lost forever to the cutting room floor and burial beneath some miscellaneous motorway? Geoffrey Davies tells a funny story about working with Arthur Mullard in that film. It seems when Mullard tried to speak his lines, Davies and Nedwell couldn’t stop laughing because there he was, brilliant Arthur Mullard who asked quite seriously, “...What are you two laughin’ at?” :o.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
User avatar
Dirty Old Yank
 
Posts: 1359
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: A laundrette on the South Col

Re: UK Monster Club Quad Poster (1980)

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:44 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:Re Vault Of Horror. Funny you mention the great Arthur Mullard. The very night I replied last coincidentally the Horror Channel in the UK was showing, yes you've guessed it, Vault of Horror lol. Seen that story and Mullard smacking that unfortunate insurance scammer Maitland (Michael Craig) after he awakes in his coffin is bludgeoned to death with him apologising to horrified Tom & Jerry (Robin Nedwell & Geoffrey Davies from the classic Doctor Series) who was part of the scam for damaging the head was hilarious lol. :P

A question ILS, about ‘Vault of Horror’ which you’ve just seen on telly.....I’ve got 2 versions of the film and in both the vampire scenes have been clumsily edited, as if somebody clobbered the Moviola with sledgehammer. Instead of seeing Daniel Massey struggling with a beer tap in his jugular, these neutered versions immediately cut to a very brief still-photo. The (appointed, not elected so they’re not responsible to consumers) geniuses at censor boards apparently found that hilarious and remarkably tame scene too shocking to witness :roll:.
Is that scene intact in the British version, or has the footage been lost forever to the cutting room floor and burial beneath some miscellaneous motorway? Geoffrey Davies tells a funny story about working with Arthur Mullard in that film. It seems when Mullard tried to speak his lines, Davies and Nedwell couldn’t stop laughing because there he was, brilliant Arthur Mullard who asked quite seriously, “...What are you two laughin’ at?” :o.


DOY, to answer your question regarding censorship in that particular Vault Of Horror story "Midnight Mess" mentioned. On the TV version I saw the scene is literally seconds long in which Harold Rodgers ( Daniel Massey) after killing his sister, goes to the restaurant, and is accosted by the Vamps after reacting to drinking blood soup with clots in served by that pasty looking waiter. The scene mentioned which is censored is a freeze-frame of Harold Rodgers (Daniel Massey) with the barrel tap in his neck surrounded by baying bloodsuckers holding their glasses expectant looking. It's a great scene which is spoilt by the censors, especially when it was shown late at night over here? The DVD version that I own has the uncut scene in full that shows Rodgers wriggling semi-conscious as the waiter fills each Vamps glass with his frothy lifeblood, his sister amongst the baying crowd laughing teeth exposed. :twisted:

Re Arthur Mullard & Geoffrey Davies. I agree, Arthur Mullard was brilliant in Vault Of Horror. That fact told doesn't surprise me at all lol. He was your typical salt of the earth character actor, ex army boxer, who became a pro before taking up acting before appearing in loads of TV series & films. He had a unique voice and acted the same way in all lol. I don't think he ever played anyone else but himself be it Chitty Chitty Bang Bang through to Holiday on The Buses. He was a cockney version of Sean Connery lol. Geoffrey Davies as I mentioned was in the classic late 60s early 70s Doctor series as junor Doctor Dr. Dick Stuart-Clark which I love. That series came about after the movie franchise featuring Dirk Bogarde & Donald Sinden. Saying that hospital and comedy films such as Doctor Kildare, the classic Carry Ons made medical dramas popular, so not surprising it was a hit . :P
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
User avatar
Ilovesteptoe
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:24 pm
Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Re: UK Monster Club Quad Poster (1980)

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:08 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:...The DVD version that I own has the uncut scene in full that shows Rodgers wriggling semi-conscious as the waiter fills each Vamps glass with his frothy lifeblood, his sister amongst the baying crowd laughing teeth exposed. :twisted:

Were those vampire fangs dodgy or what :wink:.
So that “Midnight Mess” footage does still exist! Often wondered. In one of my dvd versions the tap was carefully painted out with black ink, as though it were porn or something :roll:. The second came as a public domain double feature with “Frightmare” (1983) starring Ferdy Mayne who’s obviously enjoying the role as a hammy horror actor who returns from the dead to wreak vengeance upon the kids that stole his corpse from its garish, neon lit tomb.
Like overripe cheese, Frightmare is an acquired taste but a delicacy to the discerning no-budget horror fan.
Pongs a bit, but fun all the same: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEJKx6SpXu0 :o.
Thinking of all those doctor shows, Kildare and all that, I'm always reminded of that hilarious Python sketch where Graham Chapman transforms from Harley Street physician into Gumby M.D. with a hankie on his head, “I’m going to operate!!! OH!! ...We forgot the anesthetic!!!” Chapman was having so much fun sending up what he studied in college, you can see him break character :D.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
User avatar
Dirty Old Yank
 
Posts: 1359
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: A laundrette on the South Col

Re: UK Monster Club Quad Poster (1980)

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:56 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:...The DVD version that I own has the uncut scene in full that shows Rodgers wriggling semi-conscious as the waiter fills each Vamps glass with his frothy lifeblood, his sister amongst the baying crowd laughing teeth exposed. :twisted:

Were those vampire fangs dodgy or what :wink:.
So that “Midnight Mess” footage does still exist! Often wondered. In one of my dvd versions the tap was carefully painted out with black ink, as though it were porn or something :roll:. The second came as a public domain double feature with “Frightmare” (1983) starring Ferdy Mayne who’s obviously enjoying the role as a hammy horror actor who returns from the dead to wreak vengeance upon the kids that stole his corpse from its garish, neon lit tomb.
Like overripe cheese, Frightmare is an acquired taste but a delicacy to the discerning no-budget horror fan.
Pongs a bit, but fun all the same: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEJKx6SpXu0 :o.
Thinking of all those doctor shows, Kildare and all that, I'm always reminded of that hilarious Python sketch where Graham Chapman transforms from Harley Street physician into Gumby M.D. with a hankie on his head, “I’m going to operate!!! OH!! ...We forgot the anesthetic!!!” Chapman was having so much fun sending up what he studied in college, you can see him break character :D.



Re fangs. Yeah they were hilarious borderline Sabretooth Tiger. I know Amicus had a tight budget but they were akin to Christmas cracker free gifts. The only one who had made to fit teeth were Rodgers sister lol. :lol:

Re Midnight Mass. Yeah, that scene does still exist I'm glad to say on certain DVD releases. In fact it has been shown on TV in the past but with censorship is being removed sadly. You mentioned Frightmare with the great Ferde Maine (Vampire Count Von Krolock in Polanski's Fearless Vampire Killers) . Oddly enough haven't seen that one, although have seen some copies for sale on Amazon. One for the future I think. Thanks for the link too. 8)

The Monty Python crew were brilliant. Loved their TV series & films done. Who doesn't the love Pythons, eh? Ones with a humour bi-pass. Big fan of Terry Gilliam too with his films done i.e Holy Grail, Jabberwocky, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen ect.. with my favourite being The Time Bandits (1980). Man, do I love that film with a passion. Love to have the poster of that for my collection. Watch this space. :wink:
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
User avatar
Ilovesteptoe
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:24 pm
Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Re: UK Monster Club Quad Poster (1980)

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:43 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:...Yeah they (vampire fangs) were hilarious borderline Sabretooth Tiger. I know Amicus had a tight budget but they were akin to Christmas cracker free gifts...

Apt parallels those, sabertoof tiger teef and crimbo crackers :o.
If you do look for “Frightmare” (1983) be warned, like a boisterous budgie it is cheep, cheep cheep! Great fun to watch Ferdy Mayne work that role with the distinctive tongue-in-cheek horror star dignity he did so well 8).
Speaking of Terry Gilliam, seems he’s having one last go at his dream script/project, “The Man Who Killed Don Quixote.” If BBC got their facts right (no comment) filming begins this Fall with a projected cinema release next Spring which seems an awfully short schedule. We're hoping Terry isn't obliged to use computer imagery.
It’ll be good to see Palin & Gilliam together again, those fellas compliment each other like mash and peas :D.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
User avatar
Dirty Old Yank
 
Posts: 1359
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: A laundrette on the South Col

Re: UK Monster Club Quad Poster (1980)

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:44 am

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:...Yeah they (vampire fangs) were hilarious borderline Sabretooth Tiger. I know Amicus had a tight budget but they were akin to Christmas cracker free gifts...

Apt parallels those, sabertoof tiger teef and crimbo crackers :o.
If you do look for “Frightmare” (1983) be warned, like a boisterous budgie it is cheep, cheep cheep! Great fun to watch Ferdy Mayne work that role with the distinctive tongue-in-cheek horror star dignity he did so well 8).
Speaking of Terry Gilliam, seems he’s having one last go at his dream script/project, “The Man Who Killed Don Quixote.” If BBC got their facts right (no comment) filming begins this Fall with a projected cinema release next Spring which seems an awfully short schedule. We're hoping Terry isn't obliged to use computer imagery.
It’ll be good to see Palin & Gilliam together again, those fellas compliment each other like mash and peas :D.


There's nothing more uplifting , if not bowel loosening, in a film is to see a good set of teeth lol. Talking prosthetic dentures for a moment. That''s ironic, if not a terrifying sight. Reminds me of character Amelia (Karen Black) and her full set of razor sharp dentures in the classic horror Trilogy Of Terror (1975) story with the African water spirit, and who cannot forget Fright Night (1985) with Charlie Brewster's squeeze Amy Peterson (Amanda Bearse aka Marcy Darcy in Married with Children) gigantic toothy smile in the cellar scene towards the end of the movie. Man, I'd never seen more teeth in one place since I watched that Crazy Horses music video on TV featuring the Osmond's brothers. It was flaretastic! :mrgreen:
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
User avatar
Ilovesteptoe
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:24 pm
Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Next

Return to Share your news

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

 

 

Testing