Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Framed Classic TV Posters

Your chance to update other users on forthcoming events. Is a new DVD about to be released ? Any special documentaries planned ? Anything you feel would appeal to Steptoe fans

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Framed Classic TV Posters

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:37 pm

As promised here's some of my original early 70s classic TV 13x30in Australian Day Bill posters which I had framed recently. Two are Steptoe film posters, one Frankie Howerd's House in Nightmare Park and the three are On The Buses film posters. Enjoy. :)

Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Re: Framed Classic TV Posters

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:54 am

Your collection must be burgeoning ILS, so many excellent finds. Buddhist philosophy wisely advises to beware the pitfalls of attachment to possessions, but we can still admire the aesthetic beauty of those original posters. Or am I just rationalizing because I’m a bit envious, especially of that “House In Nightmare Park” day bill, sweet! 8)
Didn't take long for Frankie Howerd to become a favorite, brilliant :o.
That illustration doesn't do him justice though. Looks more like a toff who's sat on a tack, Lord Byron maybe :shock:.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:49 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:Your collection must be burgeoning ILS, so many excellent finds. Buddhist philosophy wisely advises to beware the pitfalls of attachment to possessions, but we can still admire the aesthetic beauty of those original posters. Or am I just rationalizing because I’m a bit envious, especially of that “House In Nightmare Park” day bill, sweet! 8)
Didn't take long for Frankie Howerd to become a favorite, brilliant :o.
That illustration doesn't do him justice though. Looks more like a toff who's sat on a tack, Lord Byron maybe :shock:.

Thanks DOY. But to be honest I'm a merely a custodian of these posters in a way. We never really own anything but have them temporarily until circumstances change for the better or worse. :)

It's been hard searching hours upon hours on the net for them. Even more sourcing the made to order frames which ironically cost more to buy than the posters as you know. But framed properly look glorious. Here's some more that I've had framed in the last two days or so. You've seen some of them before that I've uploaded when sourced, then put in the one communal frame and a pic uploaded, but now framed individually. Here three others recently framed. The 27x40 American sourced Steptoe & Son film ( featuring Zeta cover) , the Australian 27x40 film poster and the UK Steptoe 30x40 quad recently sourced. Nice too. 8)

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:46 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:...I'm a merely a custodian of these posters in a way. We never really own anything but have them temporarily...

OH in that case, if you ever decide to put them up for adoption keep us in mind :o.
The one on the left, depicting Carolyn Seymour mid-strip tease is remarkable, the sort of cinema poster artistry rarely seen anymore. Of all the Steptoe movie one sheets I’ve seen, that’s my favorite. And no wonder, cor :wink:.
Watching Seymour face the drunken din of a football club with such confidence, you’d never know she was unhappy with the role of a stripper (Front Legs of the Cow, p. 284). My framing needs are modest this week; a few autographed photos of Bill Bailey (one inscribed, he’s such a cool fella) and an enlargement of a classic punk show flier from 1977. Those old punk fliers were often brilliant bits of ‘guerilla’ art, stapled to telephone poles in every direction, a fond memory. A word about framing (hope I’m not being a bore), professional framers sometimes use an surgically thin stretchy transparent tape that’s sticky on both sides, to secure posters and to conceal/repair folds/tears. It’s very effective, doesn’t discolour or become brittle and only need be used in very tiny amounts.
Not to be confused with the usual double sided sticky tape, a framing shop gave me a roll and it works brilliantly, enough to last years and worth looking for, though it might not be commercially available.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:29 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:...I'm a merely a custodian of these posters in a way. We never really own anything but have them temporarily...

OH in that case, if you ever decide to put them up for adoption keep us in mind :o.
The one on the left, depicting Carolyn Seymour mid-strip tease is remarkable, the sort of cinema poster artistry rarely seen anymore. Of all the Steptoe movie one sheets I’ve seen, that’s my favorite. And no wonder, cor :wink:.
Watching Seymour face the drunken din of a football club with such confidence, you’d never know she was unhappy with the role of a stripper (Front Legs of the Cow, p. 284). My framing needs are modest this week; a few autographed photos of Bill Bailey (one inscribed, he’s such a cool fella) and an enlargement of a classic punk show flier from 1977. Those old punk fliers were often brilliant bits of ‘guerilla’ art, stapled to telephone poles in every direction, a fond memory. A word about framing (hope I’m not being a bore), professional framers sometimes use an surgically thin stretchy transparent tape that’s sticky on both sides, to secure posters and to conceal/repair folds/tears. It’s very effective, doesn’t discolour or become brittle and only need be used in very tiny amounts.
Not to be confused with the usual double sided sticky tape, a framing shop gave me a roll and it works brilliantly, enough to last years and worth looking for, though it might not be commercially available.

DOY, I'll keep you in mind for first refusal. :wink:

Yeah you're right. The Zeta one although a tad suggestive is done with great taste. The old posters designs are the best. I love all the classic Carry On, British sitcom, Hammer Horror and US classic horror posters I see on my travels, but with most things vintage come at a great cost. Although saying that there are some bargains if you're prepared, as I am, to wait hours, days, if not literally years to find them. :)

Re framing. Never heard of that tape that keeps the poster perfectly flat without damaging them. I do know and have seen the linen process. Watched a company in the states basically wall-paper some onto linen using irons and what looked like a kitchen spatula. Looked brutal at times especially seeing the posters stuck cost hundreds if not thousands. My motto is. So long as they are in a frame, that's what's best. Yes you can see some poster folds and such but that's the flash on the camera highlighting any imperfections. In normal light they look perfectly flat.

Yeah, got these made in the English Midlands (Coventry) by a made to order company. All the frames purchased are made of environmentally friendly MDF composite with perspex glass for obvious reasons and backing board has hanging clips although heavier duty wall clips were also provided. Nice to see them in all their glory too. Got another two vintage Steptoe Australian Daybill posters, some Spanish & German Fearless Vampire Killers posters, and a couple of Belgium On The Buses & Steptoe posters yet to be framed. Debit card pending though lol. :lol:

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:36 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:...Yes you can see some poster folds and such but that's the flash on the camera highlighting any imperfections...

The mirror in my loo does the same thing first thing in the morning, a bit like Ian Hendry’s character in "Tales From the Crypt" (a story lifted directly from H. P. Lovecraft's "The Outsider"). Unlike destructive permanent adhesion (glue, linen, etc) the tape described really is so incredibly thin it’s practically invisible, making it a little difficult to work with but only tiny pieces are necessary, and it’s not difficult to remove. Secures posters/photos to contrasting borders and prevents shifting without damaging the original. Great stuff :).
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:31 am

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:...Yes you can see some poster folds and such but that's the flash on the camera highlighting any imperfections...

The mirror in my loo does the same thing first thing in the morning, a bit like Ian Hendry’s character in "Tales From the Crypt" (a story lifted directly from H. P. Lovecraft's "The Outsider"). Unlike destructive permanent adhesion (glue, linen, etc) the tape described really is so incredibly thin it’s practically invisible, making it a little difficult to work with but only tiny pieces are necessary, and it’s not difficult to remove. Secures posters/photos to contrasting borders and prevents shifting without damaging the original. Great stuff :).

Yeah damn that mirror reflection. Or lack of, lol. :lol:

As said my main goal is just framing each poster that I have. Securing them with professional fixing tape sounds handy but my motto is as long as they're safe within a frame I'm happy, although getting to that point has been a pain as said previously. :)

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:43 pm

Update: Just added another piece of memorabilia to the Steptoe collection. Got the Steptoe & Son Rides Again campaign aids booklet which came with the 30x40 1973 poster above. Very cool it is too. 8)

Ilovesteptoe

Postby LizzieGreen » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:59 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:As promised here's some of my original early 70s classic TV 13x30in Australian Day Bill posters which I had framed recently. Two are Steptoe film posters, one Frankie Howerd's House in Nightmare Park and the three are On The Buses film posters. Enjoy. :)

Great collection!
Last edited by LizzieGreen on Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
LizzieGreen

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:20 pm

Hi Lizzie Green! Thanks for the nice words. Got others yet to be framed also, but as you know framing costs money. Nice when they are framed though. Got some On the Buses original comic art from famous artist Harry North of Mad Magazine. I uploaded one example on the forum a few months ago, but have obtained a further three since. All are framed now, and look gorgeous too. 8)

Ilovesteptoe

Return to Share your news