Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

UK Monster Club Quad Poster (1980)

Your chance to update other users on forthcoming events. Is a new DVD about to be released ? Any special documentaries planned ? Anything you feel would appeal to Steptoe fans

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Re: UK Monster Club Quad Poster (1980)

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:29 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:“Ad hoc sticky tape tongue stick crucifix quick-fix”, brilliant :o.
Where does one find that? Local chemist? Hardware store? Hobby shop? Occult dispensary?
Wandering up and down supermarket aisles with increasing frustration till finally asking, courteously of course, “Could you please direct me to the ad hoc sticky tape tongue stick crucifix quick-fix? I saw it on the telly" :mrgreen:.
That bit where Mrs. Mason’s forehead is burned by Soul’s hastily fashioned talisman, I first saw that scenario on telly as a kid, performed by Peter Cushing in Hammer’s 1958 classic “Dracula.” Was then and still is a favorite film 8).
That sort of telly programming, free and didn't encourage stupefaction in viewers, is tragically a thing of the past.

Re Ad-hoc sticky tape question. Now you mentioned it. I don't know? Last time I watched Salem's Lot I never considered if it had a local branch of Walmart or Ironmongers lol. But you're right with your observation. A suggestion if I may? Perhaps both Ben Mears & Doc Ed Flanders before going to the mortuary popped into Walmart, as you do, because it was a hot evening, acquired two extra large rocket lollipops (hence the sticks), then acquired some masking tape, but before going to their final destination ( The Mortuary) went to the lake, sucked them both off ( the lollies that is) whilst reminiscing about their past childhoods and how tasty the lollies were. After finishing up, they both for a dare decided to see if Marjorie Glick would rise from the dead hence going to the mortuary where the sticks and tape came in handy ( Ironically, so did they at the lake) used as a mock Crucifix to defeat the undead. It's a thought, a twisted one yes, but a thought. :P
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:32 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:Re Ad-hoc sticky tape question. Now you mentioned it. I don't know? Last time I watched Salem's Lot I never considered if it had a local branch of Walmart or Ironmongers lol. But you're right with your observation. A suggestion if I may? Perhaps both Ben Mears & Doc Ed Flanders before going to the mortuary popped into Walmart, as you do, because it was a hot evening, acquired two extra large rocket lollipops (hence the sticks), then acquired some masking tape, but before going to their final destination (The Mortuary) went to the lake, sucked them both off (the lollies that is) whilst reminiscing about their past childhoods and how tasty the lollies were. After finishing up, they both for a dare decided to see if Marjorie Glick would rise from the dead hence going to the mortuary where the sticks and tape came in handy (Ironically, so did they at the lake) used as a mock Crucifix to defeat the undead. It's a thought, a twisted one yes, but a thought. :P

‘Ironmongers’...you’ve reminded me of another favorite Hammer picture, “Captain Kronos Vampire Hunter” 8).
As I’m sure you’ll recall, in that one Kronos’ sword is forged from a steel cross he and his ever faithful professor/hunchback companion Grost nicked from a graveyard. As dogsbody, naturally Grost is smithy and does the lion’s share of the work while Kronos meditates with a sack over his head and Caroline Munro at his side :roll:.
‘Twisted’? Nah, that’s better left to contortionists. Peculiar possibly, but only to the steadfastly unimaginative :o.
‘Rocket Lollipops’, over here they’re called ‘Big Sticks’, big surprise yeah? Marketing department must’ve worked overtime on that one. All the colours of the rainbow, as seen licked in Stanley Kubrick’s “A Clockwork Orange”.
We had ice cream vans too, never Walls but strangely the music blasting from those speakers heard for blocks around, was always the same familiar theme either side of the pond, a pied piper beckoning to children and Albert alike. Albert of course was the only one with a hankie on his head and beer on his breath, bellowing “Borstal!” :lol:.
'Ed Flanders', wasn’t he the religious fanatic that lived nextdoor to Homer Simpson?
And why would anybody want to defeat the undead? They’re great fun!
Thousands of people parading in full blown zombie makeup, slowly shuffling, moaning, blocking traffic....
....Unngh, live BRAINS!! The completely innocent, gleeful creativity of it all is heartwarming really :D.
The only people that disapprove, and I’ve met ‘em, tend to live nextdoor to Homer Simpson: a dark, disturbing place where laughter isn’t permitted, post-facto puritanism prevails and "The Age of Reason" was never written.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:52 pm

Well I never knew that. Those Salem Lot lolly sticks were called " Big Sticks" in the states? Over here they would be considered a Leisure Centre diving board lol. :P

Re Captain Kronos. Love that film. Caroline Munro's the best part. Saying that. She has two notable best parts, woof woof. Ironically the only Hammer film yet to source in my collection, although I do have a DVD taped from the TV years ago. Now thinking about it further. Each time I do dee the film Cronos, the lead actor always reminds me of actor Michael York. Saying that. He's also similar to another actor in Warlords of Atlantis (1978) with Doug McClure. I think his name was Michael Gothard (sadly now passed) who played the lead gilled Atlantean warrior Atmir. You know the one with the dodgy fringe lol. :shock:

Talking about actor Ed Flanders. Never seen him in Simpsons lol, although a character seen does resemble him. Oddly enough, the only other film, well series, I've ever seen him in is an episode of Murder She Wrote and in Michael Landon's 1984/1989 classic Highway to Heaven show. Coincidentally in series Highway to Heaven I've seen more former Salem's Lot cast members outside the film than in any other show. I've seen as mentioned Ed Flanders, Lew Ayres, Geoffrey Lewis ect... to name a few. Great to see them too. 8)

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:46 pm

That be no leisure centre diving board ye mutinous dogs, that be a plank!!
Arrrrrrrrr matey, arrrrrr. Must watch “Yellowbeard” tonight, an all time favorite 8).
Big Sticks were a cylindrical ice sweetie, usually about 8” tall, apparently they’re still made.
The wooden sticks doctors use when they tell you to ‘say ahhhh’, they're called tongue depressors.
If you do look for the Captain Kronos DVD, be sure it has the commentary track with Caroline Munro and director Brian Clemens. Was saddened when Clemens passed on not so long ago, he seemed to think actor Horst Janson as Kronos, bore a resemblance to Roman Polanski, albeit a bit taller. But Michael York works just as well :o.
Was Caroline Munro fit or what? Cor! :shock:.
I stand corrected, didn’t realize Ed Flanders was the actors name, not the character.
Now that you mention it, I remember Ed Flanders was also in Exorcist III, came to a sticky end too.
And I now discover Homer Simpson’s nextdoor neighbour was actually called Ned Flanders.
Ooops :oops:.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:18 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:That be no leisure centre diving board ye mutinous dogs, that be a plank!!
Arrrrrrrrr matey, arrrrrr. Must watch “Yellowbeard” tonight, an all time favorite 8).
Big Sticks were a cylindrical ice sweetie, usually about 8” tall, apparently they’re still made.
The wooden sticks doctors use when they tell you to ‘say ahhhh’, they're called tongue depressors.
If you do look for the Captain Kronos DVD, be sure it has the commentary track with Caroline Munro and director Brian Clemens. Was saddened when Clemens passed on not so long ago, he seemed to think actor Horst Janson as Kronos, bore a resemblance to Roman Polanski, albeit a bit taller. But Michael York works just as well :o.
Was Caroline Munro fit or what? Cor! :shock:.
I stand corrected, didn’t realize Ed Flanders was the actors name, not the character.
Now that you mention it, I remember Ed Flanders was also in Exorcist III, came to a sticky end too.
And I now discover Homer Simpson’s nextdoor neighbour was actually called Ned Flanders.
Ooops :oops:.

Re Cronos. Yeah, so many talented people have passed resently, Clemens included last Jan 2015 I think. I loved his work in the Avengers, saying that. He did loads of work for ITC. Man was a colossus of classic TV. RIP Brian. :|

Funny you should mention Pirates DOY, ha arrrrrrr me harty. Although Hollywood with it's portrayal of Pirates having either broad English West country accents or sounding like Leslie Phillips from the Carry ons, this is of course fiction as we all know. Pirates were international. Wales ironically produced the two most successful pirates in history. Captain Henry Morgan born in then named Llanrhymny ( now Llanrumney), South Glamorgan and Bartholomew Roberts aka Barti Ddu ( Black Bart in Welsh) born in a place called Cas Newydd Bach, Pembrokeshire, west Wales, and he was noted by historians to be the most successful pirates that's ever ever. Forget Black Beard or Captain Kid. Both historical Pirate pansies. :P

Further trivia. The famed pirate code was co-written by both Morgan & Roberts too, not forgetting the classic skull & crossbones flag (there were many designs) but the most famous was designed by Welsh speaking Bartholomew Roberts in 1721, namely the Jolly Roger. Also, he was famed for asking all his crew to swear allegiance on a Welsh bible, and spoke it too. :)

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:04 am

Ilovesteptoe wrote:Ironically the only Hammer film yet to source in my collection...

I assume you mean Hammer’s horror films alone, because as I’m sure you know their catalogue was quite varied and fairly vast. There’s still a few Hammer horrors I’d like to see, their dramas mostly. But despite scantily clad Rachel Welch (cor!) I never could see the appeal of their prehistoric movies, with or without stop-motion dinosaurs. Following the sailing theme, I’ve got one of their earliest pictures, a movie starring Bela Lugosi and based on the ghost ship Mary Celeste, “Phantom Ship” (1935). Apparently the original full length version has been lost.
Speaking of lost films, in addition to the colour Steptoes of course and other comedy classics BBC stupidly wiped, one of many I wish would resurface is the silent “London After Midnight” (1927) starring Lon Chaney Sr. in one of his most startling and deliberately over the top makeups.
Ilovesteptoe wrote:You know the one with the dodgy fringe lol.

No question that fringe ranks among the most absurd fashion faux pas ever, unless it’s Beyond the Fringe 8).
Bill Bailey gets away with it too, being a brilliant comedian musician :wink:.
Returning to the problems of framing, was in a shop recently getting a few thin plastic frames; not as attractive as wood in any condition but they’re easily secured to walls, much safer with a cat around. And while I don’t want to seem ungrateful, when the huge tattooed cashier saw me, he courteously said, “I’ll give you a seniors discount” without my asking for one :shock:. Cheeky little bleeder, life imitates Steptoe more every day!! :o.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:51 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:Ironically the only Hammer film yet to source in my collection...

I assume you mean Hammer’s horror films alone, because as I’m sure you know their catalogue was quite varied and fairly vast. There’s still a few Hammer horrors I’d like to see, their dramas mostly. But despite scantily clad Rachel Welch (cor!) I never could see the appeal of their prehistoric movies, with or without stop-motion dinosaurs. Following the sailing theme, I’ve got one of their earliest pictures, a movie starring Bela Lugosi and based on the ghost ship Mary Celeste, “Phantom Ship” (1935). Apparently the original full length version has been lost.
Speaking of lost films, in addition to the colour Steptoes of course and other comedy classics BBC stupidly wiped, one of many I wish would resurface is the silent “London After Midnight” (1927) starring Lon Chaney Sr. in one of his most startling and deliberately over the top makeups.
Ilovesteptoe wrote:You know the one with the dodgy fringe lol.

No question that fringe ranks among the most absurd fashion faux pas ever, unless it’s Beyond the Fringe 8).
Bill Bailey gets away with it too, being a brilliant comedian musician :wink:.
Returning to the problems of framing, was in a shop recently getting a few thin plastic frames; not as attractive as wood in any condition but they’re easily secured to walls, much safer with a cat around. And while I don’t want to seem ungrateful, when the huge tattooed cashier saw me, he courteously said, “I’ll give you a seniors discount” without my asking for one :shock:. Cheeky little bleeder, life imitates Steptoe more every day!! :o.

I have quite an extensive Hammer film collection on DVD, horror in fact, but I don't have some like Captain Cronos, To the Devil a Daughter which are yet to be sourced on official DVD releases although have some shaky VHS to DVD transfers. As you said. Hammer were quite extensive in their releases, the most well known obviously being the horror genre, but they did release other genres namely the classic comedy movie franchise On the Buses plus some other comedy titles. Quite surprising really when you watch a bawdy 70s comedy film and up pops Hammer production. I was expecting to see either Christopher Lee or Peter Cushing pop up lol. :P

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:40 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:I was expecting to see either Christopher Lee or Peter Cushing pop up lol. :P

They both kept popping up didn't they? Couldn’t keep either of them down! :shock:.
With Chris Lee it didn’t seem to matter; wooden stakes he’d pull out of his chest, frozen solid he’d defrost, reduced to fine dust, bright sunlight, immolation, poison, drawn and quarted.....all had no effect, he’d keep popping up!
And the same with Peter Cushing regardless of role, though to be fair, in Amicus' “Tales From the Crypt” he had to dig his way out through the earth*, something his mate Lee never did.
As Frances Matthews noted, “There was always a danger with Hammer that they forgot what had happened to you.”
Oh the indignities of the acting profession! Hey ho :o.
Found another Hammer film recently, certainly not one of their better pictures but of historical interest to collectors, “The Terror of the Tongs” (1961) with Christopher Lee in a makeup anticipating his Dr. Fu Manchu.

*As you may know photographs of Cushing as zombie Grimsdyke rising from his grave do exist, which strongly suggests the scene was shot but tragically was lost to the cutting room floor.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:16 am

"They kept popping up. Couldn’t keep either of them down." Reminds me of a Benny Hill sketch involving one of Hill's angels lol. :P

You mention the cutting room floor. Yeah, a bugbear of mine. Sometimes the best parts are cut as you know. For example. The spider scene in Exorcist (1973) in which Linda Blair's character (Regan) scampers down the stairs whilst poking out her repeatedly long extended green/blue pointed tongue. This was as well all know cut. A great pity. BOT: No doubts with most films scenes are deliberately so when the film is re-released more money can be made in the directors cut. Ironic or what. :wink:

Re Christopher Lee & Peter Cushing. Both were ultimate professionals. Unlike most acting A-Listers who are so precious about their fame to the point that they wouldn't dare conceive of doing a role beneath them, both Peter Cushing happily donned the Hammer baddie role as well as the sweet old man as Cushing did in the Amicus & Hammer films i.e Tales from the Crypt (1972) & At the Earth's Core (1976) , not to mention other roles such as Biggles (1985) ect.... as did Christopher Lee who was also was happy to play similar roles and wasn't afraid of being typecast. In fact. In later life Lee even liked and did a thrash metal album. Talented man. This separates them both from the prima donnas of today's Hollywood. When they both passed (Peter Cushing in 1994) & (Christopher Lee in 2015) was a very sad day indeed. :|

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:23 pm

Though I don’t know the film, I’d much rather have seen Peter Cushing himself cast as Biggles, the top billing he richly deserved. Perhaps as a quixotic character at first, he probably wasn’t too frail in 1985 to sit in a mock-up of a Sopwith Camel (they could’ve easily created one) with a blue screen behind him, fighting any number or variety of no-gooders real or imagined, but unlike the tragic Don Quixote prevailing in the end. That would’ve been more fun and a far more successful picture, chances are he would’ve enjoyed it too. Sleazy tabloids and lazy casting agents often mischaracterized Chris Lee as typecast which of course wasn't true, the variety of roles he played was quite vast. They say Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee have passed on, but that doesn’t mean I have to believe it :o.
When I was a kid horror movies were on telly every weekend on at least a few channels, the usual assortment of poorly dubbed Japanese monster pictures and the traditional b/w Universal classics that didn’t scare me at all. But the best and most fun were always Hammer, the quality shone! It wasn’t until I saw the original “Night of the Living Dead” (1968) on telly that I really got shook, that one seriously creeped me out and is still a favorite 8).
A correction: when I wrote Brian Clemens described “Captain Kronos” actor Horst Janson as resembling Roman Polanski, I was actually thinking of another (out of print?) dvd, “The Horror of Hammer” (2001), 53 classic trailers with an excellent commentary track featuring brilliant film historian Ted Newsom. Definitely worth looking for but be advised of NTSC and 1.33:1 aspect ratio.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:14 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:Though I don’t know the film, I’d much rather have seen Peter Cushing himself cast as Biggles, the top billing he richly deserved. Perhaps as a quixotic character at first, he probably wasn’t too frail in 1985 to sit in a mock-up of a Sopwith Camel (they could’ve easily created one) with a blue screen behind him, fighting any number or variety of no-gooders real or imagined, but unlike the tragic Don Quixote prevailing in the end. That would’ve been more fun and a far more successful picture, chances are he would’ve enjoyed it too. Sleazy tabloids and lazy casting agents often mischaracterized Chris Lee as typecast which of course wasn't true, the variety of roles he played was quite vast. They say Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee have passed on, but that doesn’t mean I have to believe it :o.
When I was a kid horror movies were on telly every weekend on at least a few channels, the usual assortment of poorly dubbed Japanese monster pictures and the traditional b/w Universal classics that didn’t scare me at all. But the best and most fun were always Hammer, the quality shone! It wasn’t until I saw the original “Night of the Living Dead” (1968) on telly that I really got shook, that one seriously creeped me out and is still a favorite 8).
A correction: when I wrote Brian Clemens described “Captain Kronos” actor Horst Janson as resembling Roman Polanski, I was actually thinking of another (out of print?) dvd, “The Horror of Hammer” (2001), 53 classic trailers with an excellent commentary track featuring brilliant film historian Ted Newsom. Definitely worth looking for but be advised of NTSC and 1.33:1 aspect ratio.

Re Peter Cushing playing Biggles. To be honest Peter would have been good at anything he did. He even played Sherlock Holmes in the Hammer film Hound of the Baskerville and in a TV series too I believe, so that role would have been easy, but sadly by the time Biggles film came onto the scene in early 1985 he was very frail, even then. As we all know he (Peter Cushing) was suffering from Prostrate Cancer being diagnosed in the late 70s, so any strenuous part would have been too much for him. It was amazing that he was able to work, even up to his passing he was working, doing TV & radio interviews whilst battling that horrible disease which unfortunately succumbed to in 1994. :|

Back to the film Biggles. The role of James "Biggles" Bigglesworth was played brilliantly English actor Neil Dickson AKA Ian Matheson in my most favourite cult comedy horror series She-wolf of London AKA Love and Curses (1990/91). Alongside him was Wilfred Hyde White's son Alex Hyde White who played the lead role Jim Ferguson, which was a surprise to me after years of watch the film and not knowing the connection to his famous Dad. I love the film as it oozes the mid eighties with it's synthesiser music, which was coincidentally written by John Decon of Queen. 8)

Yeah, I look at actors & actresses the same way when they pass on. They are the fortunate ones, admired & adored by millions for their work, who will never really die as they will live forever in their TV series & films. Captured in their prime for eternity. Not many of us can say that, or lucky enough to be remembered by future generations to come. :)

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:34 pm

You’re absolutely right, as an artiste there was nothing Peter Cushing couldn’t do, effortlessly towering over 6'5" mate Christopher Lee, his characters could be incredibly menacing and rude, which of course Peter was not :).
An example, I’m sure you’ll remember that hilarious scene in “Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed” where he utterly demolishes 4 ponced up boarding house tenants with insults and wit, something he’d never do in real life, yet is thoroughly convincing. Have you seen his artwork? He’d blush at the suggestion but they’re masterpieces really, the gifts created for his beloved wife Helen are especially beautiful. “Hound of the Baskervilles” was one of a handful of Hammer pictures shown on telly here in the 1960’s and despite never having read Conan Doyle* became an instant favorite. Convinced to this day it’s the best Sherlock Holmes movie ever made, but I’m still very fond of the b/w Universal classics with Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce**, even if their version reduced the Hound to a gardening tool. Surprising that Cushing lived so long with prostate cancer, most don’t. There’s a pub named after him in his seaside town which is only a little odd, he and Helen were teetotal. Have you read his autobiographies? They’ve both been condensed into a trade paperback by Midnight Marquee Press. MMP usually discounts their many excellent books for the Crimbo season, worth looking into :wink:.
*I’ve now got a small 1905 cloth edition of The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, a cherished volume :o.
**Nigel Bruce and Thorley Walters so perfectly captured Dr. Watson, attempts to recast the role feel redundant and frequently are.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:12 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:You’re absolutely right, as an artiste there was nothing Peter Cushing couldn’t do, effortlessly towering over 6'5" mate Christopher Lee, his characters could be incredibly menacing and rude, which of course Peter was not :).
An example, I’m sure you’ll remember that hilarious scene in “Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed” where he utterly demolishes 4 ponced up boarding house tenants with insults and wit, something he’d never do in real life, yet is thoroughly convincing. Have you seen his artwork? He’d blush at the suggestion but they’re masterpieces really, the gifts created for his beloved wife Helen are especially beautiful. “Hound of the Baskervilles” was one of a handful of Hammer pictures shown on telly here in the 1960’s and despite never having read Conan Doyle* became an instant favorite. Convinced to this day it’s the best Sherlock Holmes movie ever made, but I’m still very fond of the b/w Universal classics with Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce**, even if their version reduced the Hound to a gardening tool. Surprising that Cushing lived so long with prostate cancer, most don’t. There’s a pub named after him in his seaside town which is only a little odd, he and Helen were teetotal. Have you read his autobiographies? They’ve both been condensed into a trade paperback by Midnight Marquee Press. MMP usually discounts their many excellent books for the Crimbo season, worth looking into :wink:.
*I’ve now got a small 1905 cloth edition of The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, a cherished volume :o.
**Nigel Bruce and Thorley Walters so perfectly captured Dr. Watson, attempts to recast the role feel redundant and frequently are.

What I find sad is this. I can't really see another actor, or actors, who could come to tie both Peter Cushing & Christopher Lee's shoelaces today in ability & stature. Take Peter Cushing mentioned. Not one bad thing was ever written about this man. He was a consummate professional and a thoroughly decent man. Who can say they in their long illustrious career that they starred alongside Laurel & Hardy's io their classic Chump at Oxford (1940). That itself would buy one a drink in any pub or bar, and I agree. Hound of the Baskervilles film by Hammer is the best version. Besides the setting it has both greats featuring together in Peter Cushing & Christopher Lee. Don't get me wrong. I love Basil Rahtbone's version and him as actor, but Hammer's version was visually stunning not to forgetting the top-notch acting. 8)

Re Peter's health & prostate cancer. Yes, I too was surprised he battled so long. 12yrs in fact, and without surgery too? It made him obviously frail but didn't stop him from working or enjoying life. He lived in a place called Whitstable in Kent, South East England where he visited daily a local tea & cake shop. He loved the place so much he bequeathed some of his personal items to the place after passing on. Sadly haven't read any of his books or seen his art, but will rectify that a.s.a.p. I know he loved his birdwatching after seeing a documentary about his life a few years ago. Also in it he tragically said that he was devastated when his wife died in 1971, would never love anyone else, and one day would meet her again quoting: I'm not afraid of dying, only the method of my passing, but will look forward to a long wonderful journey to meet my beloved Violet again. Very touching. :|

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:57 pm

Heartily agreed, Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee are one-offs and no mistake!
Yet despite their inestimable talent and iconic status, they never seemed like 'celebrities', did they? Even when their characters are adversaries, watching them work together I can’t help seeing their mutual respect and famous friendship, telling jokes and laughing like naughty schoolchildren.....when the cameras weren’t rolling of course :o.
Haven't seen "A Chump at Oxford" yet, or "1984" for that matter. You might find Cushing’s 2 key autobiographies second hand, but I’ll p.m. you a link to the compiled paperback, as mentioned.
Lee’s autobiography “Lord of Misrule” (an update of “Tall, Dark and Gruesome”) is excellent too, as is his “Authorized Screen History” by Jonathan Rigby. A few especially good Cushing interviews you’re likely to enjoy and might be at youchoobe.....with a very young Ian Jennings (1983, 50 min), and “The Human Factor: For the Love of Helen” (1990 with Peter Williams, 30 min). They both can be found as full length extra features on Derek Pykett’s funny and affectionate 2 disc documentary, “Amicus House of Horrors” (2012). No question Christopher Lee is* of impressive stature, but someone equally talented and taller still (by 2”) is gentle giant, Bernie Bresslaw 8).
If you haven’t seen it, another terrific Cushing film is “The Flesh and the Fiends” (1960) where he plays Dr. Knox with Donald Pleasence as the infamous Hare, Billie Whitelaw also appears and as always is perfection.
Along with “The Hound of the Baskervilles” and "Dracula" (1958) of course, another Hammer picture that’s head and shoulders above the rest is their version of “The Mummy” (1959). Lee might've scoffed at that, he had such huge respect (and rightly so) for his friend and neighbour, Boris Karloff. Watching recent visual effects laden attempts to remake those classics is usually an annoying experience, a nagging reminder that all those excessive, splashy digital effects are there primarily to camouflage lack of any meaningful content :roll:.

*As a Pagan I try not to speak of people I admire in the past tense.
"...a Heathen conceivably, but not I hope, an unenlightened one" (The Wicker Man, 1973) :wink:.
Edit: Found that 1990 Cushing interview, it's quite good too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0VMqKYhFXk
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:03 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:Heartily agreed, Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee are one-offs and no mistake!
Yet despite their inestimable talent and iconic status, they never seemed like 'celebrities', did they? Even when their characters are adversaries, watching them work together I can’t help seeing their mutual respect and famous friendship, telling jokes and laughing like naughty schoolchildren.....when the cameras weren’t rolling of course :o.
Haven't seen "A Chump at Oxford" yet, or "1984" for that matter. You might find Cushing’s 2 key autobiographies second hand, but I’ll p.m. you a link to the compiled paperback, as mentioned.
Lee’s autobiography “Lord of Misrule” (an update of “Tall, Dark and Gruesome”) is excellent too, as is his “Authorized Screen History” by Jonathan Rigby. A few especially good Cushing interviews you’re likely to enjoy and might be at youchoobe.....with a very young Ian Jennings (1983, 50 min), and “The Human Factor: For the Love of Helen” (1990 with Peter Williams, 30 min). They both can be found as full length extra features on Derek Pykett’s funny and affectionate 2 disc documentary, “Amicus House of Horrors” (2012). No question Christopher Lee is* of impressive stature, but someone equally talented and taller still (by 2”) is gentle giant, Bernie Bresslaw 8).
If you haven’t seen it, another terrific Cushing film is “The Flesh and the Fiends” (1960) where he plays Dr. Knox with Donald Pleasence as the infamous Hare, Billie Whitelaw also appears and as always is perfection.
Along with “The Hound of the Baskervilles” and "Dracula" (1958) of course, another Hammer picture that’s head and shoulders above the rest is their version of “The Mummy” (1959). Lee might've scoffed at that, he had such huge respect (and rightly so) for his friend and neighbour, Boris Karloff. Watching recent visual effects laden attempts to remake those classics is usually an annoying experience, a nagging reminder that all those excessive, splashy digital effects are there primarily to camouflage lack of any meaningful content :roll:.

*As a Pagan I try not to speak of people I admire in the past tense.
"...a Heathen conceivably, but not I hope, an unenlightened one" (The Wicker Man, 1973) :wink:.
Edit: Found that 1990 Cushing interview, it's quite good too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0VMqKYhFXk

I agree. They broke the mould with both Cushing & Lee. Won't see the like of them again sadly, but I advise you to watch Chump at Oxford a.s.a.p. It's hilarious. So funny :lol: . Odd seeing Peter Cushing without a stake or bat in sight, and he's so young too. You mentioned "The Flesh and the Fiends” (1960). Yes got that one. Haven't seen it in ages though. As mentioned previously that I've a collection of over 3000 DVD, and most are either in displayed or secured in cardboard boxes due to lack of storage. Need a bigger house I think. :?

Never knew you were a pagan? Good on you. Myself I have no region, never have. I question too much. Since my early teens I found so many flaws religion, especially how hypocritical the leaders of faiths are, more so since my brave father passed. No God aided him in his hours of need. Someone won the lottery though thanks to him. Total hogwash. My motto is this. If you can see it, smell it, feel it, hear it, it's real. That's my religion. Not something that you groomed/brainwashed from an early age to believe exists by ones with agenda. :|

(P/S) Thanks for the other Cushing link. Much appreciated. :)

Ilovesteptoe

PreviousNext

Return to Share your news