Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Wilfrid Brambell Biography...Coming soon...

Your chance to update other users on forthcoming events. Is a new DVD about to be released ? Any special documentaries planned ? Anything you feel would appeal to Steptoe fans

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Wilfrid Brambell Biography...Coming soon...

Postby PhilGlass » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:36 pm

Coming soon...

Release Date September 2016

Available as an e-book through Amazon.

"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Re: Wilfrid Brambell Biography...Coming soon...

Postby Archie » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:46 pm

Looks interesting Phil, hopefully it will come out in hard copy :)
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:40 am

Well done Phil!! At last the Wilf biography he well deserved and we’ve all been hoping for for such a very long time.
I can’t imagine anyone better qualified to write it and there’s no doubt it’ll be outstanding. Will there be photos? Hope so! I see your first name is spelled correctly, one of the advantages of self publishing :o.
However, and I hope you’ll be patient with me mate because I suspect you’ll agree, books weren’t meant to be read from an expensive piece of illuminated plastic that wont work without electricity. As an old school bookseller I’m one of many that view the e-book phenomena with great trepidation, having witnessed first hand how wealthy business interests such as the infamous, greedily mismanaged into bankruptcy, nationwide discount shop Crown Books drove vast numbers of independent bookshops across the country to extinction within a matter of a few years. Many convincingly argue that the seemingly ‘inexorable’ technology wave we’re witnessing is a dangerous step towards the Orwellian abyss, and while that might appear an exaggerated analysis, it almost certainly isn’t.
On the other hand if that’s what it took to get your book published, then there it is.
If you want to see your work printed and bound there’s some small publishing houses in the States you might approach that do an excellent job and specialize in unique biographies :).
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Uncle Nobby » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:38 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:Well done Phil!! At last the Wilf biography he well deserved and we’ve all been hoping for for such a very long time.
I can’t imagine anyone better qualified to write it and there’s no doubt it’ll be outstanding. Will there be photos? Hope so! I see your first name is spelled correctly, one of the advantages of self publishing :o.
However, and I hope you’ll be patient with me mate because I suspect you’ll agree, books weren’t meant to be read from an expensive piece of illuminated plastic that wont work without electricity. As an old school bookseller I’m one of many that view the e-book phenomena with great trepidation, having witnessed first hand how wealthy business interests such as the infamous, greedily mismanaged into bankruptcy, nationwide discount shop Crown Books drove vast numbers of independent bookshops across the country to extinction within a matter of a few years. Many convincingly argue that the seemingly ‘inexorable’ technology wave we’re witnessing is a dangerous step towards the Orwellian abyss, and while that might appear an exaggerated analysis, it almost certainly isn’t.
On the other hand if that’s what it took to get your book published, then there it is.
If you want to see your work printed and bound there’s some small publishing houses in the States you might approach that do an excellent job and specialize in unique biographies :).

Hear,hear Dirty Old Yank! Kill a tree and put it down on proper pages. If this not possible what about a pdf?
"And you look after those gloves!"
Uncle Nobby

Postby PhilGlass » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:51 am

Thanks for the encouragement guys, this is a labour of love.

Regarding publishing: I agree that online publishing has ruined books, but it has also ruined publishing. To get a book published hardcopy can take decades, although I do have agency representation in the pipeline for a completely different project, for this one it would not happen. People do buy books this way, which is why bookshops are closing down, it also helps authors who otherwise would be unheard.

Self publishing is killing books, yes, and has taught the buyer to never pay more than 99p for anything, but it is now the only way to go. I myself prefer a 'proper' book, but if that is the case then this will never see the light of day. Unfortunately it will only be published online as an e-book.

I am also more concerned about people getting to read it than I am making money, there are so many things I want to set straight.

As for pictures, that depends on what permissions I can get. I have a budget of 'bugger all', so I will have to see what can be done / worked around. Copyright needs to be paid for!

I have hopefully instilled some humour in to the book. of course it talks about Steptoe, but this is Wilfrid's story, not the Steptoe story.

I hope you will all enjoy it.
PhilGlass

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:59 am

That your Wilfrid biography is a labour of love was a given Phil, and that it’ll be great fun to read is guaranteed (how’s that for a jacket blurb, “...Or your money back!”) :o.
But I think you might’ve misunderstood some of my comments. You’re quite right, to expect a cloth first edition of your book would be unreasonable. What I was suggesting is that a trade paperback edition of your Wilf bio is a distinct possibility and shouldn't be dismissed out of hand, least of all by literary agents who are paid to know these things. There’s an excellent and remarkably successful publishing house here that specializes in trade paper editions of a wide variety of unique (‘arcane’ to some) television & film star biographies such as yours. Unlike ‘self publishing’ of course you might encounter editorial suggestions, which isn’t always a bad thing.
Are ‘e-books’/‘self publishing’ solely responsible for “ruining”/“killing” the printed page and driving bookshops out of business? Actually no, because the notion that everybody owns a hand held internet device is an industry created, widely disseminated falsehood. Particularly troubling is the effect reading from a backlit piece of plastic (video imagery) has on the human brain, a subject that has been studied for decades but more recently, it wouldn’t be a waste of time to read this related, excellent and very evenhanded bit of criticism from the venerable and widely respected magazine The Atlantic, “Is Google Making Us Stupid? What the Internet is doing to our brains” (2008):
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2008/07/is-google-making-us-stupid/306868/
Don't let anyone discourage you, Wilfrid’s biography is long overdue and deserves to be in print, not pixels :D.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby PhilGlass » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:51 am

Available now. Please feel free to download the sample first, which is free. All feedback and reviews appreciated.
PhilGlass

Postby Star01 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:51 am

interesting cool done
Star01

Return to Share your news