Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Porridge Quad Poster (1978)

Your chance to update other users on forthcoming events. Is a new DVD about to be released ? Any special documentaries planned ? Anything you feel would appeal to Steptoe fans

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Porridge Quad Poster (1978)

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:35 pm

Just added a 1978 Porridge Film Quad Poster to the collection. As a kid I loved the series & film and always wanted memorabilia from this classic series, and who wouldn't with iconic poster graphics like this. Been after one of these for ages, although the price was the main issue being around £150- £300+ , but seen this recently and I just had to have it. It's in great order too for an original poster actually removed from a cinema lobby in Stoke on Trent. It's clean, complete with no tears, with only one small flaw, a pinhole in one of the cross folds. 8)

Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Re: Porridge Quad Poster (1978)

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:42 am

Congrats again ILS on another brilliant find. Mint condition too, sweet :o.
I’ve only seen the telly series, not the movie. Wasn’t that film Beckinsale’s last role?
So talented, he passed on way too young, thank goodness for video.
I’ve heard of British Lion Films, but never Black Lion. Digressing here but I seem to recall “The Wicker Man” being British Lion’s last production before the company’s management was sacked and replaced by businessmen who blithely (some say angrily) edited that masterpiece to shreds, and then “lost” the negatives. Yet another example, one of many thousands, of why ignorant businessmen shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near art, be it cinema or anything else. That they're permitted to determine content isn't just shocking, it's stupid :roll:.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:00 pm

Thanks DOY. Yeah it's sweet I agree, especially the large images of Fletch, Godber & MacKay emblazoned on the front. :)

Re Richard Beckinsale & last movie. Yes and no, to answer your question. Porridge was his official last full movie appearance yes, but he was part way through filming another made-for-TV film called "Bloody Kids" (1979) released in 1980, in which he filmed some scenes shortly before he died of a heart attack. Sadly those never made it into the final cut as his part was refilmed by Irish actor called Derrick O'Connor, who starred as the character Police Detective Ritchie. Also I know Richard Beckinsale's last TV series was called Bloomers, a situation comedy, in which he played an owner of a Flower Shop. There was to be six episodes of the series in which Richard Beckinsale filmed five, but he sadly died before the sixth was in the can. Some episodes can be viewed on YouTube. See links below.

Trivia: Did you know the late Richard Beckinsale's granddaughter's Lily is half Welsh. His Hollywood actress daughter Kate Beckinsale's ex-partner and father of Lily is Welsh actor Michael Sheen (Lucian) in Underworld movie franchise ect...

Bloody Kids (1979) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtorQy2GFVk

Bloomers TV series (1979) Ep-1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhO4W25XElo

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:41 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:Trivia: Did you know the late Richard Beckinsale's granddaughter's Lily is half Welsh. His Hollywood actress daughter Kate Beckinsale's ex-partner and father of Lily is Welsh actor Michael Sheen (Lucian) in Underworld movie franchise...

I've got the first three “Underworld” vampire movies, they're pretty good. Kate Beckinsale's sharpened canines, running amok in skin tight black rubber with semi-automatic weapons? Cor! Didn’t know Michael Sheen is Welsh though, terrific actor/human being. I’m quite familiar with the work of that generation of filmmakers: Wiseman, Tarantino, Rogriguez, Raimi et al. But of that lot...my favorite is Kevin Smith. He’s unquestionably the wittiest, most self-effacing and lowest financed, which helps a lot! Even when Kevin is off tack or a film isn’t first rate, his writing is always excellent. Very funny guy. Check out "Clerks II", hilarious movie, despite the depravity :o.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:20 pm

Kate Beckinsale's sharpened canines, running amok in skin tight black rubber with semi-automatic weapons

:shock:

Re Michael Sheen: Yes. He is indeed Welsh, and although born in Newport in Gwent, SE Wales, was brought up in the town of Port Talbot, which coincidentally was the birthplace to both Richard Burton & Anthony Hopkins too. Must be something in the water, me thinks. 8)

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:29 am

Ilovesteptoe wrote:Re Michael Sheen: Yes. He is indeed Welsh...brought up in the town of Port Talbot, which coincidentally was the birthplace to both Richard Burton & Anthony Hopkins too. Must be something in the water, me thinks. 8)

I’ve been reading some of Michael Sheen’s commendable remarks about Port Talbot’s steelworks and the very real threat of fascism in the West, he certainly has hit the nail on the head, well done Mr. Sheen. Surely you’ve seen the “Underworld” movies ILS...who amongst us saw Kate Beckinsale in all that black fetish gear and didn’t say, Phwoar!! Funny thing about those (mostly puerile) "Underworld" ‘vampires vs werewolves’ action movies and horror films in general...I can accept the concept of vampires, but werewolves always seemed implausible to me (but not nearly as stupid as Marvel/DC comic book super-heroes). Loved horror movies since I was a kid, but werewolves? Human bone structure suddenly and radically changing to produce jowls and hind legs doesn’t permit suspension of disbelief. The Cramps song “I Was A Teenage Werewolf” is a favorite though, but everything The Cramps did was excellent 8). Coincidentally, in the original b/w “Wolfman” movies, Lon Chaney Jr.’s character was named Talbot :o.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:38 am

Kate Beckinsale in all that black fetish gear and didn’t say, Phwoar!!

To answer your question. Yes I did, and may I say further, couldn't sit down for a week. I've never been so excited since the time I lost my rubber ducky as a child, then found it years later wedged in the toilet cistern. Apparently my brother hid it after I ripped his new Commando comic after reading it on the bog. :mrgreen:

As you know all too well that I love my horror films. But when you have a hot vampire like Kate Beckinsale's character in Underworld, I'd happily let her drain me like well frothy Starbucks latte. See unlike most horrors with overtly sexual imagery our Kate shows us her well ripe fruit, yes, but never allows us to peel or prod her nannas. Who wants a slaggy Vampire. I want courting before any sucking. :P

Re Michael Sheen & politics: Yeah he's very socially aware about the Port Talbot steelworks crisis/ongoing saga and the horrors in Syria ect.. , indeed Wales too. He's politically aware but doesn't wave the banner of any particular party as far as I'm aware, and besides being a brilliant character & Shakespearian actor, he actually cares about the people & community in his home town, which cannot be said for some transient Welsh actors/actresses who make it big in Hollywood, then forget where they came from, (Cough) Anthony Hopkins. :roll:

(P/S) Funny you should mention Lon Chanley and the The Wolf Man (1941) movie (hated the remake by the way), that the film subject was situated in Wales, and the fiction village of LlanWelly, and you've guessed it, Port Talbot, being the ancestral home of Lon Chaney's character, would-be Sir Larry Talbot.

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Uncle Nobby » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:37 pm

I prefer Abbot and Costello meet Frankinstein myself;-)
"And you look after those gloves!"
Uncle Nobby

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:34 am

Uncle Nobby wrote:I prefer Abbot and Costello meet Frankinstein myself;-)

You have good taste with Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein. Now that's a film with quality throughout from the presence of Lon Chanley Jr & Bela Lugosi through to the actual bat that starred in the 1948 movie, who I might add has been living its twilight years in retirement at Universal Studios home for the elderly and aeronautically challenged. 8)

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:39 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:As you know all too well that I love my horror films.

Me too, never had any interest in super-hero comic books, I was a monster kid; subscribed to Famous Monsters Magazine, loved Hammer Horror, had the classic Aurora monster model kits, and Halloween was an entire month of preparation and celebration. I’m no prude but I agree with you that "overtly sexual imagery" doesn't belong in horror movies, especially if they’re violent. I assume you’ve seen Tobe Hooper’s vampires-from-outer-space movie “Lifeforce” (1985) in which Mathilda May is nude throughout much of the film, and though she’s obviously a very attractive gal, it’s just unnecessary. I much prefer the ‘goth’ black latex fetish gear of those puerile “Underworld” movies, but let’s not forget that Kate Beckinsale has a completely pointless slow-motion nude scene in the second film “Underworld Evolution” which was only there to excite their target demographic: young boys. And it’s an insult to the intelligence of young people really, when warped business executives reduce them from human beings to just numbers, demographics on a spread sheet, natural urges to be exploited, profits to be had. There’s a documentary about MPAA film censorship in the U.S. that I think you’ll find interesting, “This Film Is Not Yet Rated” (2006). As an introductory to censorship past and present it’s woefully incomplete, but an important document nevertheless.
Ilovesteptoe wrote:Who wants a slaggy Vampire.

When it comes to vampires, most folks aren’t all that particular. You probably know that when Bela Lugosi was playing Dracula on Broadway, lots of women found him overwhelmingly attractive, they’d swoon in the aisles :shock:.
Ilovesteptoe wrote:...Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein. Now that's a film with quality throughout...

Agreed, excellent film, my favorite bit in that picture...a couple of good looking women have been chasing after short, overweight Costello. And Abbott (who try as he might can’t get their attention) grabs his mate by the shirt collar, drags him to a day-lit window and says in a hilarious mix of anger and disbelief, “....I just wanted to get a good look at you in the light!!” :lol:.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:06 pm

I assume you’ve seen Tobe Hooper’s vampires-from-outer-space movie “Lifeforce” (1985)

To answer you question DOY. I have. Got it in my collection. I agree, it's a good film on the whole but has a bit too much boobage for a serious horror, I think. The word titillation is apt. :shock:

Bela Lugosi was playing Dracula on Broadway, lots of women found him overwhelmingly attractive,

Funny you say that about Bela Lugosi being regarded as a sex symbol. As you know. Throughout his tenure as Dracula not once did he ever show any teeth opting to cover his face with his cape in that classic pose. Saying that. A sight of an ankle would have sent temperatures soaring in those days, and a flash of a man's pearly whites would have been regarded as a marriage proposal. :o

Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein, agreed, excellent film,

Funny thing about the film was that for some reason Costello initially disliked the script stating his 5yrs old daughter could have written a better draft , but later warmed to the film during production, and for some reason Boris Karloff refused to see the movie but opted to promote it instead, and coincidentally this film was the only time Bela Lugosi reprised his role as Dracula before sadly passing in 1956, although did play a Vampire character (not Dracula) in the film "Old Mother Riley Meets The Vampire" (1952). An eye opener knowing these facts, and you'd never have known any tensions were evident pre or post production seeing the final cut. Saying that. Not a total surprise really, especially seeing the stresses and strains actors go through in the process of making of cinematic classics. :|

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:47 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:...a bit too much boobage...

Must make frying the chips dodgy and all! :shock:. Speaking of director Tobe Hooper, have you seen his horror/comedy “Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2” (1986, 101 min), the one with Dennis Hopper and makeup genius Tom Savini’s special effects. Brutally violent but hilariously funny too, it’s a classic, very highly recommended. I’m guessing it was banned in the UK at the time. If you look for the DVD be sure it has the featurettes and commentary tracks; wasn’t till I heard actress Caroline Williams describe laughing herself silly during the filming of the most disturbing scenes involving her character, that they finally became easier to endure. And don't believe the poor online reviews.
Critics decried Hooper's Chainsaw 2 for being "exploitation". Well, duh!!
Speilberg's "Jaws" was exploitation too, yet that film was somehow a cinematic masterpiece? Oh good grief :roll:.
Ilovesteptoe wrote:Throughout (Lugosi's) tenure as Dracula not once did he ever show any teeth...

Neither did my 90 year old Gran, she kept hers in a glass of water! Sweetest gal you'd ever meet, nobody didn't love Gran. But her snoring was so deafening, the walls would shake. I'd spend weekends there sometimes, I couldn't have been more than five years old. So...there's a 90 year old woman sleeping in the next room, her teeth are in a glass, the doors are rattling off their hinges......and I'm supposed to be afraid of Dracula? :roll:. Never occurred to me.
Wish there were more Steptoe episodes that examined the 'supernatural', what few we've got are joyous :D.
Ilovesteptoe wrote:...a flash of a man's pearly whites would have been regarded as a marriage proposal. :o

Beloved stand-up comedian Redd Foxx (Sanford and Son) did a hilarious bit that sympathized with married women and why men should never again wear white y-fronts, but it can’t be repeated here :wink:.
Ilovesteptoe wrote:Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein...

Another interesting bit about that film is 6’ 5” gentle giant Glenn Strange as Frankenstein’s creature, his visage became as iconic as Karloff’s. Universal had abruptly sacked unparalleled makeup genius Jack Pierce...the man that created those classic monsters and without whom that studio would’ve gone bankrupt...and replaced him with a cheaper substitute, Bud Westmore. It’s no secret and is widely accepted that Westmore routinely took all the credit for work he never did; Westmore's behavior was roundly condemned in the industry, but it wasn’t publicized.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:33 pm

have you seen his horror/comedy “Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2

Not really one for the slasher movie personally. I prefer horror with dark humour over brutality, although have seen the first film, never the second outing though. The first was enough lol. Still can see actor Michael John Berryman (Pluto) leaping about like a shaved gooseberry among the hills prowling for victims in between eating roadkill. :mrgreen:

Neither did my 90 year old Gran, she kept hers in a glass of water!

Your granny sounded a lovely lady, although a tad gummy, as is most senior citizens reaching 90yrs young, I might add. My grandma sadly passed in 1980 aged 84yrs, and she too lacked in the nookie department. Saying that. Her teeth were missing due to me. As a small child, I used to do naughty things from putting salt in the sugar pot through to setting her alight in her bed when I stole my dad's lighter. You know, the normal things a child gets up to. Anyway. One day was bored as it was raining, so I went into the bathroom cupboard, found some drain cleaner, then put some into the glass my Grandma kept her teeth in resulting in them both fusing together. The pluses were the teeth had never been whiter. The downside. On rinsing them, then putting the set in her mouth ready for dinner found that she couldn't open her mouth. :roll:

Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein.

Yeah it's surprising to hear how a film that on the surface looks calm to the viewer, but was a torrent to make with all the tensions & disagreements. I suppose to use the old adage: To make an omelet, you've got to break some eggs. Corny, but apt.

Ever seen Peter Seller's the (1973) Ghost On Th Noonday Sun film? Now that was a film that was made but never released in the cinemas due to on-set chaos, not only with its making but with location filmed, the harsh hot conditions in Cyprus, but mainly unrest among the cast with Peter Sellers & Spike Milligan highlighting issues with the script & filming, especially Seller's who at one point left the set, flew back to England, then got his Doctor/friend to fake an illness to get out of doing the movie. :shock:

Sad thing is this. The film was eventually completed, as said never released in the cinemas, although did get an outing on VHS in the early/mid eighties, had a copy then transferred it to dvd, and is brilliant to watch. Seller's mad Irish Pirate "Dick Scatcher" lol ,is hilarious, as is Spike Milligan, who played fellow pirate & crew-mate "Bill Bombay." Basically the plot of the film is that Dick Scratcher (Sellers) kills his captain , takes command, after learning where he has hidden his buried treasure. However, as he begins to lose his memory, relies more and more on the ghost of the man he just murdered to help him find the loot. 8)

Here's a YouTube crowd-funding video about the making of (1973) Ghost On The Noonday Sun (5:31) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8iPqX224lI

Ghost On The Nooday Sun Video snippet (6:53) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aia5MiJFUbU

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:44 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:
Dirty Old Yank wrote:have you seen his horror/comedy “Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2

Not really one for the slasher movie personally. I prefer horror with dark humour over brutality, although have seen the first film, never the second outing though. The first was enough lol. Still can see actor Michael John Berryman (Pluto) leaping about like a shaved gooseberry among the hills prowling for victims in between eating roadkill. :mrgreen:

We share a lot of the same tastes ILS and I wouldn’t set you on the wrong tack by recommending a slasher movie; torture porn like “Hostel” and “Saw” (for example) are deeply offensive. Agreed, Hooper’s 1974 original Chainsaw film is unwatchable without the director/actors DVD commentary tracks, and even then I look away. What sets Tobe Hooper’s 1986 “Texas Chainsaw 2” apart is that it is in fact a dark comedy, a totally different film!! As I explained, much of it is hilarious but once again, without the frequently funny director/actors commentary tracks some of the 1986 film can be extremely unpleasant, as those scenes were until I heard the participants laughing about their experiences making what is now widely considered a cult classic. And not just by rabid fanatics that tend to hang around genre conventions, but by established mainstream filmmakers too. As you may know Texas Chainsaw’s ‘leatherface’ character was based on a real person, infamous schizophrenic Ed Gein.
Actor Michael Berryman didn’t appear in those films, you’re thinking of Wes Craven’s “The Hills Have Eyes” (1977), a film I’ve got but never watch precisely because it’s bereft of comedy and subsequently is a brutal slasher movie, like Craven’s notorious “The Last House On the Left” (1972), a film I still refuse to watch. Wes Craven passed on not so long ago, brilliant teacher and lecturer, a very funny guy who really knew cinema...but his only film that I enjoy is “The Serpent and the Rainbow” (1987) which you may know was also based on a true story, by author/researcher Wade Davis. Check out Davis’ 1988 book, “Passage of Darkness: The Ethnobiology of the Haitian Zombie”.
Ilovesteptoe wrote:Ever seen Peter Seller's the (1973) Ghost On The Noonday Sun film?

Haven’t seen “Ghost On the Noonday Sun”, but I’m wishing I had, what you’ve described sounds hilarious!! :o. Your synopsis makes us wonder if that film influenced or helped inspire one of my favorite movies, “Yellowbeard” (1983). You probably know Yellowbeard was filmed in Mexico: temps hotter than Cyprus, elevations stagger dramatically, air pollution levels are shocking...all of which undoubtedly contributed to Marty Feldman’s tragic heart attack.
Ilovesteptoe wrote:I suppose to use the old adage: To make an omelet, you've got to break some eggs.

Hang on.....I thought you were vegetarian! :shock:.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:05 pm

Actor Michael Berryman didn’t appear in those films, you’re thinking of

Damn DOY, you're right again with pointing out actor Michael Berryman didn’t appear in those Texas Chainsaw. Oops, he says all red and coy. My memory's failing me, doh? Funny how you can mix one movie with another, eh? There was I trying to sound all knowledgable, and I was slashing up against the wrong tree. Both are similar films in a way, well, that's my defense m'lud. :oops:

Haven’t seen “Ghost On the Noonday Sun”, but I’m wishing I had, what you’ve described sounds hilarious!! :o

Yeah watch it. It's so funny, believe me. Sellers & Milligan are sidesplittingly hilarious, especially the scene towards the end when the fight each other in the sea, lol. Oh the joy of it all. If you can't source it, or YouTube hasn't the whole film uploaded, I can send you a copy of the whole film on DVD if you wish. Just DM me with a PO box address, if you have one rather than your home adress for obvious reasons. :)

Hang on.....I thought you were vegetarian! :shock:.

I am? You'd never seen me with with a chicken McNugget in my gob, or placed anywhere else, I can tell ya. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Ilovesteptoe on Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ilovesteptoe

Next

Return to Share your news