Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

RIP Martin Landau 1928-2017

An opportunity to share some memories of our TV, Radio and Film stars who have gone to that Great Rag and Bone Yard in the Sky !

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

RIP Martin Landau 1928-2017

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:36 am

It's been announced that the American actor Martin Landau has died aged 89. Famous for his roles in the cult 60s series, Mission Impossible (1963-73), iconic films such as Cleopatra (1963) alongside Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton, Hitchcock's , North By North West (1965) and the Greatest Story Ever Told (1965), was also in many TV series, film and theatre production, but to me he will always be remembered as Commander John Koenig, appearing in all 48 episodes in the cult classic Gerry Anderson sci-fi, Space: 1999 (1975-77). RIP Martin Landau. Great actor. :|

Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Re: RIP Martin Landau 1928-2017

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:23 pm

Sad news indeed, an extraordinary actor. His career might’ve had its ups and downs, but his presence was unforgettable, one might even say archetypal. Industry financed award ceremonies for merit are inevitably patent farces and the Oscars have become the most egregious, and most profitable, example of that elementary principle. Nevertheless, Martin Landau well deserved that Oscar for his brilliant portrayal of Bela Lugosi in Tim Burton’s inflammatory and grossly inaccurate film, “Ed Wood” (1994). Bela was a gentleman of the old school and didn’t swear like that, nor did he hate Boris Karloff. Consequently, people that knew Lugosi were more than a little angry with the filmmakers, but not at Landau, he didn’t write the bloody thing. Had forgot he was in the original Mission Impossible series, been trying to forget that show since the arrival of Tom Cruise, that guy has the midas touch in reverse. Will always remember Martin best in Hitchcock’s masterpiece, “North By Northwest”.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Re: RIP Martin Landau 1928-2017

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:24 pm

Nice sentiment there DOY. I grew up watching him on Space:1999 as a kid. I adored that series, even got annuals and the spaceship eagle. I suppose getting that toy was the spark that got me into collecting. He was in some iconic series and films, as mentioned with the classic Hitchcock film, North By Northwest. And I too tend/try to erase anything Tom Cruise is in, especially his Mission Impossible rehash. It's not a patch on the original. Landau was a wonderful actor, who will be sorely missed on our screens, and the very reason I lament the future and long for the past.
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Return to RIP - In Memoriam