Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

RIP George A Romero 1940 - 2917

An opportunity to share some memories of our TV, Radio and Film stars who have gone to that Great Rag and Bone Yard in the Sky !

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Re: RIP George A Romero 1940 - 2917

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:52 am

Ilovesteptoe wrote:And If I ever become a Zombie, I'd be the world's first vegetarian one too. Just think. Where normal Zombies
would moan, Brains...I'd mumble, Quorn...Hey look!, there's a Zombie me. :arrow: :mrgreen:

Just a moment ILS, you’re not the only vegetarian zombie here.
Why, just this morning I prepared the most delicious, fresh cole slaw.
Lots of carrots and ground pepper, a tiny touch of sugar, dash of mayo and soy sauce. Key ingredient
being finely sliced cabbage head but it would’ve been much tastier with your live Brains!!! :o.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:38 pm

Just a moment ILS, you’re not the only vegetarian zombie here.

Like two peas in a pod. They say Zombies usually travel in packs. God help any farmers crops when we're about. :shock:
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:32 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:Like two peas in a pod. :shock:

Pods? ...that was an Invasion of the Body Snatchers 8).
Classic movie that, great fun :o.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:06 am

Pods? ...that was an Invasion of the Body Snatchers 8).

What a cool film that was and still is. No doubt George admired that classic scarefest too being a film aficionado himself. Ironically they were Zombies is a way. Well, they did lack obvious human emotion and empathy, and where Romero's Zombies longed for Brains, they yearned to digest and replicate the entire being for self-preservation and species advancement. Where regular Zombies wanted a bit and shared, they opted for the lot. Greedy blighters! :o :shock:

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:07 am

Ilovesteptoe wrote:...regular Zombies wanted a bit and shared...

As opposed to what.....irregular zombies? :shock:.
But you're absolutely right ILS, it's always best to share a bite of your live BRAINS!! :o.
The 1978 re-make movie with Donald Sutherland and beautiful Veronica Cartwright is great fun too 8).
Speaking of, true story, I’ll never forget this: a mate went to see the 1978 Snatchers movie and came home from the cinema in a complete paranoia meltdown, eyes darting everywhere. And you know that incredibly disturbing, weird icky sound the pods make...’bloop’. Later that night I snuck up behind him and said “bloop”.
Silly sod leapt out of his shoes :lol:.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:55 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:...regular Zombies wanted a bit and shared...

But you're absolutely right ILS, it's always best to share a bite of your live BRAINS!! :o.
The 1978 re-make movie with Donald Sutherland and beautiful Veronica Cartwright is great fun too 8).
Speaking of, true story, I’ll never forget this: a mate went to see the 1978 Snatchers movie and came home from the cinema in a complete paranoia meltdown, eyes moving everywhere. And you know that incredibly disturbing, weird icky sound the pods make...’bloop’. Later that night I snuck up behind him and said “bloop”.
Silly sod leapt out of his shoes :lol:.

I suppose if brains are full of fibre the said Zombies would be regular, and the very reason why most Zombie movies were branned by the censors. :shock:

Funny you should mention the 1978 re-make. Now I did like that one with Donald Sutherland and Jeff Bridges, Leonard Nimoy etc... You don't get many good remakes but that one was great. Loved the replication scene, the mutant dog with the tramp's face, and when poor old Matthew (Donald Sutherland) was outed by a screeching Elizabeth (Brooke Adams), especially after all he went through, towards the end when he thought he and she had made it to safety. What a film! 8)

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:45 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:Funny you should mention the 1978 re-make. Now I did like that one with Donald Sutherland and Jeff Bridges...

You're thinking of Jeff Goldblum, Jeff (the dude lebowski) Bridges wasn't in that picture :).
A favorite moment.....Veronica Cartwright says of a transforming replicant, “Don’t touch it, you don’t know where it’s been!!” :lol:. She of course was the child star in Hitchcock’s “The Birds”, later of 1979 “Alien” fame. Outstanding actress, exuberant lady.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:27 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:Funny you should mention the 1978 re-make. Now I did like that one with Donald Sutherland and Jeff Bridges...

You're thinking of Jeff Goldblum, Jeff (the dude lebowski) Bridges wasn't in that picture :).
A favorite moment.....Veronica Cartwright says of a transforming replicant, “Don’t touch it, you don’t know where it’s been!!” :lol:. She of course was the child star in Hitchcock’s “The Birds”, later of 1979 “Alien” fame. Outstanding actress, exuberant lady.

Oops. Yeah him lol. Honestly, why I mixed Bridges up with Goldblum is anyone's guess? Must have been a film I saw recently in that made the connection. Certainly wasn't my neurons firing. Misfiring more apt. But I'm coming to think that Zombies have more greymatter than me. Well, what's left of it anyroads. :?

(P/S) Nice info too about Veronica Cartwright DOY. Hitchcock's Birds is a cinematic masterpiece. It also features one of my favourite actors, one Rod Taylor of H. G Well's Time Machine fame (1960). Majestic film. 8)

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:03 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:Oops. Yeah him lol. Honestly, why I mixed Bridges up with Goldblum is anyone's guess? Hitchcock's Birds ...also features one of my favourite actors, one Rod Taylor of H. G Well's Time Machine fame (1960). Majestic film. 8)

Not at all, it’s an easy enough mistake to make, they’ve both got the same name, Jeff :).
Speaking of Goldblum, we were recently discussing Michael Winner and his 1974 film “Death Wish”. Goldblum is in that movie, his first film role and for some bizarre reason they gave him a child’s Jughead Jones hat to wear. No
self respecting New Yorker of any age would dare be caught wearing one of those ridiculous hats. An absurd characterization. But in fairness to Jeff, Death Wish had quite a lot of that sort of thing :roll:.
Have you seen Jeff Bridges in the Coen Bros 2005 comedy “The Big Lebowski”? It’s hilarious!
The scary bit is...I’ve known people who actually behave like that :shock:.
And speaking of “The Time Machine” (1960), you might be interested to know the original machine from that movie still exists. It was found literally in pieces in the back of a charity shop somewhere. With the help of some friends it was lovingly, completely restored to working condition by Bob and Kathy Burns and is now in their world famous basement collection of original sci-fi & horror movie props :o. There were some video tours of Bob’s Basement at youchoobe, definitely worth watching for fans those genres and anyone interested in film history. The time machine from “Time After Time” (1985) was kinda cool too, but not nearly as cool the 1960 original with Rod Taylor 8).
“Beast Wishes: The Fantastic World of Bob and Kathy Burns” (2012, 60 min) is an excellent documentary, very highly recommended! Lots of funny interviews, archival footage, and a grand tour of the basement. A joyous must see.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:47 am

Not at all, it’s an easy enough mistake to make, they’ve both got the same name, Jeff :).

I know what you mean lol. Got that one right, it was the surname I got wrong. :P

Re Goldblum and Big Lebowski. With Goldblum (Jeff) wearing that hat in his first movie outing has Michael Winner's hands all over it. He was all for cliches, as you know. And have I watched Big Lebowski? No sadly, although have seen clips on TV when shown on TV, as you do, but never the whole film in its entirety. It's now on my to-do list. :)

Re Time Machine prop. Yeah I heard about that one. It was found a few years ago in disrepair. Thankfully it was brought back from the brink and restored to its former glory, but sadly I do know that the other original mini Time Machine prop as seen featured in the film does not sadly. Unfortunately that was destroyed in a house fire along with other film related material. :(

You also mentioned, Time After Time (1979) with the great Malcolm Mcdowell, David Warner and Amy Robbins. Yeah I agree. Nothing can top the Rod Taylor original, although that movie was superb too. It had a late seventies flavour, add time travel and Jack The Ripper into the mix, was genius. Coincidentally got that film in my collection, but man was it hard to obtain being out of print. :shock:

(P/S) Thanks DOY for info about “Beast Wishes: The Fantastic World of Bob and Kathy Burns” (2012, 60 min). Shall check that one out. 8)

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:14 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:Thanks DOY for info about “Beast Wishes: The Fantastic World of Bob and Kathy Burns” (2012, 60 min).
Shall check that one out. 8)

I know you enjoy this stuff as much as I do ILS, so if you choose to look for “Beast Wishes: The Fantastic World of Bob and Kathy Burns”, and I promise you won’t be disappointed, it’s at Amazon and the DVD is region free.
The folks at iMDB are a cagey lot and aren’t inclined to give high ratings yet they gave this 60 minute documentary a 9.1/10, the highest rating I’ve seen them give any film. Some time ago you mentioned Mark Gatiss visited the Universal lot and saw what they claimed was the original bat prop used in “Dracula” (1931) casually stored it in a box. Bob & Kathy are in the same neighbourhood so if Mark didn’t ask to tour Bob’s basement I’m sure he kicked himself. Those videos of the basement I mentioned are still at youchoobe, just google ‘bob’s basement youtube’.
I haven’t watched them but they look like tasty appetizers, the time machine is there, in all its restored glory :D.
Ilovesteptoe wrote:GGrR Ooooo GrrR ara BBRAIIIIIIIINNNNNNSSS RAaaAAaA Ooo GrRr rrrAA rAAa rrAAA rrAA srrR RAa rRAAaAaa!!

Zombie Cymraeg, brilliant!! :o.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:24 pm

Thanks DOY for the Amazon DVD info. Yeah, I can remember we had a discussion about the Universal Bat prop from Bela Lugosi's Dracula, and how it still existed being stored by the Studios archivists who featured it on Mark Gatiss's documentaries about the cultural influences of Hammer/Amicus/Italian and Universal Horror films. Fangtastic! 8)

Zombie Cymraeg, brilliant!! :o.

Who said Cymraeg was a dead language. :wink:

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:39 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:Who said Cymraeg was a dead language. :wink:

I didn’t catch the fellow’s name. But while we’re on the subject...
Efallai fy mod yn bwyta eich ymennydd yn fwy?
Once again, courtesy is key. There’d be fewer misunderstandings in the world if the living dead would just ask before gnawing on someone’s skull :mrgreen:. That’s such a funny movie, Dan O’Bannon’s “Return of the Living Dead” (1984), Don Calfa and James Karen are hilariously hysterical. Karen is a horror fan too and once described how “Mystery of the Wax Museum” (1933) gave him nightmares as a kid. Now that’s a really good movie, it stars Fay Wray & Lionel Atwill and inspired the 3D House of Wax with Vincent Price. Speaking of Universal and 3D, I’ve been watching some of their classics originally exhibited in 3D, “It Came From Outer Space” (1953) and “Creature From the Black Lagoon” (1954). Both DVDs have excellent commentary tracks by brilliant film historian Tom Weaver 8).
It appears all three parts of Mark Gatiss’ BBC horror documentary are at youchoobe, hope to see them soon :).
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:56 am

Efallai fy mod yn bwyta eich ymennydd yn fwy?

Na, mae angen i mi feddwl yn yr ymennydd. Mae un nibble yn ddigon, diolch yn fawr. :shock:

You mentioned another favourite Zombie movie of ours. Return of The Living Dead (1984), not forgettings its Return Of The Living Dead (1988) sequel, and less said about the prequel the better. Where the first was menacing in its terror, especially the end part with the attic sequence and nuclear explosion, the second mentioned was technicolour with its dark slapstick humour. There was so many examples, be it both grave robbing that black lady with the attitude. Both Frank and Freddy realising they're are dead while experiencing rigormortis at docs office, doling out all-you-can-eat brains from the back of that lorry. Freddy asking for a bite of his scream-queen girlfriend ( now that's commitment), with the pièce de résistance, Michael Jackson dancing as he's electrocuted at the power station towards the end. Hee, hee, owwwwwwww...! :mrgreen:

Sadly haven't see that movie James Karen mentioned. Sounds excellent. I'll try to rectify that a.s.a.p. Also, you said that you've been watching “It Came From Outer Space” (1953) and “Creature From the Black Lagoon” (1954). Both brilliant. Got boxset with both in somewhere along with the incredible Shrinking man (1957) , The Fly (1958) , Return Of The Fly (1959) and the Thing From Another World (1951). You say both had been transferred into 3D. Sadly haven't got a TV to do it justice, although watching it is 42in B&W glory is the next best thing. Funny you should mention 3D. I've got the colourised version of Earth Vs The Flying Saucers (1956). So vivid. I find it amazing what computer wizardry can do today, where before it was literally painting frame by frame to get the effect. See below what I mean with the link provided. 8)

Earth Vs The Flying Saucers (Colourised) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQNvJdqetMA

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:35 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:Mae un nibble yn ddigon, diolch yn fawr. :shock:

“I have neither eaten, consumed or had a nibble!!” (Sid James, Carry On Henry) :o.
Both “It Came From Outer Space” (1953) and “Creature From the Black Lagoon” (1954)* were originally shot and released in 3D in the 1950’s. I didn’t mean to suggest they’d been transferred from 2D to 3D, I don’t think that’s possible. I’m pretty sure 3D movies need to be filmed with 2 synchronized cameras, separate images for right and left eye, and exhibited in cinemas using 2 synchronized projectors, both projecting at the screen through separate filters in each booth. Audiences were given paper polaroid glasses, I’m sure you’ve seen ‘em, with blue and red cellophane lenses to achieve the 3D effect, I’ve still got a pair.
“Mystery of the Wax Museum” (1933) is an exceptionally good and very funny movie, time not wasted I promise :D.
It's technicolour and was thought to be a lost film for quite a long time, but luckily was rediscovered, I don’t know where. I got to see the remake with Vincent Price, “House of Wax” (1953) in 3D at a revival cinema and though it’s not nearly as good as the original, the 3D effect on a big screen was fun.
You mentioned “Earth vs The Flying Saucers” (1956), another Harryhausen sci-fi classic. I don’t know if Bob & Kathy Burns have props from that movie in their basement museum, but I do know they’ve got one of the spaceships from the original “War of the Worlds” (1953). Great fun that picture, haven’t seen it for decades but can still accurately mimic the sound the alien ray guns make. The sound those giant ants make in “THEM!” (1954) is easy to mimic too, yet another 1950’s sci-fi masterpiece 8).
Dirty Old Yank

PreviousNext

Return to RIP - In Memoriam