Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Tobe Hooper

An opportunity to share some memories of our TV, Radio and Film stars who have gone to that Great Rag and Bone Yard in the Sky !

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Tobe Hooper

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:15 pm

Deeply saddened to learn of Tobe Hooper’s passing.
As director/co-writer of the inestimably influential, no-budget independent film “Texas Chainsaw Massacre”
(1974, inspired by infamous serial killer/schizophrenic Ed Gein), popular telly mini-series “Salem’s Lot” (1979)
and the enormously profitable “Poltergeist” (1982), most mainstream obits announcing Tobe’s departure have
been predictably truncated. But his c.v. is far more impressive even if not all his films were first rate. In the mid ’80’s Cannon producers Golan/Globus wisely agreed to fund Hooper a 3 picture deal which resulted in what are arguably his 2 best movies: “Lifeforce” (1985, based on Colin Wilson’s novel ‘Space Vampires’) and the classic, far more violent comedy sequel to his brutal original, “Texas Chainsaw Massacre II” (1986, which remarkably didn’t have a script yet). Shot in the UK, “Lifeforce” was released as an All Regions blu-ray with commentaries in 2013. And my favorite, “Texas Chainsaw II” was re-released (‘Gruesome Edition’ DVD) with hilarious commentaries &
featurettes in 2006. Easily recognized by his trademark cigar and Dr. Pepper, everyone that worked with Tobe described him as a brilliant director with a great sense of humour. As the endlessly moaning, cantankerous
schizoid cook in Chainsaw II, brilliant actor Jim Siedow reminds us, “The saw is family!!”
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Re: Tobe Hooper

Postby ebdons » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:40 pm

hi, yes underrated director, poltergeist- brilliant, lifeforce- mad but entertaining and fun. sad loss
ebdons

Re: Tobe Hooper

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:18 am

ebdons wrote:hi, yes underrated director, poltergeist- brilliant, lifeforce- mad but entertaining and fun. sad loss

Hi Ebdons, welcome to the forum.
“Mad but entertaining and fun” sums up Lifeforce accurately and succinctly, the effects were quite good and it's always great fun to watch Frank Finlay work. I’ve not read Colin Wilson’s “Space Vampires” which Lifeforce was based on, but if you enjoyed the concept of psychic vampires, check out Dan Simmons’ novel “Carrion Comfort” (1989). I’m not overly fond of fiction but Carrion Comfort is one of the best novels I’ve ever come across, it really
is extraordinary and if you play chess, it’s a must read. And if you enjoy Tobe’s movies be sure to check out his horror-comedy “Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2” (1986) but be sure it has the commentary tracks, without which it’s quite brutal; important to hear actress Caroline Williams laughing hugely about her experience as star of the film. Very sad indeed to think Texas born Tobe has passed on, he loved the UK and thought of it as a second home.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Return to RIP - In Memoriam