Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

missing doctor whos

Your chance to update other users on forthcoming events. Is a new DVD about to be released ? Any special documentaries planned ? Anything you feel would appeal to Steptoe fans

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

missing doctor whos

Postby THE VICAR » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:34 pm

"now that 9 missing doctor whos have turned up cant wait to see them do you think the missing steptoes will turn up now and the 3 missing dads armys ? nick :D
not the vicar again hes had two bob of me this year already.
THE VICAR

Re: missing doctor whos

Postby bob » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:22 pm

I really hope so.

When I saw the article i immediately thought of the lost colour Steptoes
bob
Site Admin

Postby PhilGlass » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:32 pm

I echo Bob. These were found in South Africa if my memory serves me, and these episodes went out LIVE when made. I have always thought the Steptoes are in Australia, but the BBC told me that whenever an episode was shown, the original tape was sent over there then returned afterwards...

I thought I could smell something... something a bull leaves behind that you wouldn't want to step in... now, Aus didn't have colour tv until 1974 (on a regular basis) so if they did have copies they may be black and white, but we would appreciate better quality copies of the lost episodes right? What we have are amazing in completing the puzzle but a direct b&w copy would be amazing... did the BBC really not send copies over there?

I know several of us got excited at the prospect of Bob Monkhouse's vast collection containing these episodes... according to Kaleidoscope who now control his archive they did not.. had the genius who was Mr. monkhouse still been with us I would have asked him directly, but that option no longer stands... but according to reports, he was almost OCD in his recording, recording everything... would he have missed out the most watched program in Britain (at the time)? There's that smell again!!

I am cynical and believe someone actually has these and is sitting on them to spite us. But I also believe in some unsignificant person's loft somewhere are home made copies that will do us well for now... it's like finding a caring Tory... the law of average says there has to be one out there somewhere, it's just hard to believe sometimes!!
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby bob » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:36 pm

Hi Phil - nice post, made me laugh !!

I agree with what you say. The other point worth considering is that the lost Dr Who's pre-date the lost Steptoe.s by some 10 years. As you say given the importance of the show - and its appeal beyond the UK, I believe good colour copies are undoubtedly out there somewhere.

We just need a cunning plan !!
bob
Site Admin

Postby PhilGlass » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:13 pm

Once again Bob, you hit the nail on the head. We need a plan so cunning that Baldrick would feel unwanted. 'A winters tale' is apparently back with the beeb and has been for some time. It seems to me they just don't care, they will just do another repackaging job of what we already have instead of putting the effort in. Profit over integrity... No doubt they need to rake up a bit of compensation for people...
PhilGlass

Postby THE VICAR » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:39 pm

"I agree with you both they have found other stuff but they are not saying rumour has it they have the lost dads armys the bbc coudnt give a dam about Steptoe and son why wont they put a winters tale out on dvd with the galton and simpson doc they did with the best of Steptoe and son dvds another year has gone buy with out me being able to buy all the Steptoe and son radio show in a nice box set like dads army and hancock bbc don't give a fig . watching cut steptoes on uk gold why cant we have Steptoe on bbc2 9pm on a Thursday night . nick
not the vicar again hes had two bob of me this year already.
THE VICAR

Postby PhilGlass » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:03 pm

Yes, there is no doubt that they will show the missing Dr. who's. I think a 9pm bbc 2, or even bbc4 slot would do Steptoe the world of good IF they showed the whole lot, in order, and not just the same old episodes - this is the biggest problem with G.o.l.d, they show series 7 and 8 and that is it, and these episodes do nots always show the pathos in the same way as the earlier ones. A new generation discovering the early episodes would be really productive... But don't get your hopes up people!
PhilGlass

Postby bob » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:38 pm

The BBC has no qualms cashing in on its own incompetence, the “new” lost episodes are availaqlbe to download on iTunes !!
bob
Site Admin

Postby Ian0374 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:23 pm

Hi All,

Been following the dr who rumors for a while now.

I have just read on another forum that the colour steptoe and son was part of the large haul, apparantley in Umatic format.

Another interesting point is that Galton and Simpson will be in attendance at this years missing believed wiped.

I just sincerely hope that if this is true that the BBC re-release the DVDs but this time restored and remastered.

Ian - F -
Ian0374

Postby Ian0374 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:28 am

My apologies I mis-read the posting.

No idea if Galton and Simpson are appearing but they are contributing to a documentary about the search for missing episodes to be shown at MBW
Ian0374

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:58 pm

I heard this news that with the 9 presumed lost Doctor Who episodes were some classic 60s comedy shows and that Steptoe & Son was indeed mentioned. Cross fingers that with the countless cans of film discovered in Nigeria that copies of already known but damaged show are gathering dust waiting to be restored to their former glory? :)
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Postby Ian0374 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:06 am

Interesting, listen at approx 6m30

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01l3j2m

Paul claims there's only one missing episode of the show - My old mans a Tory that only exists as one of Galton and Simpsons recordings.

Could just be a mistake though.
Ian0374

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:02 pm

Ian0374 wrote:Interesting, listen at approx 6m30

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01l3j2m

Paul claims there's only one missing episode of the show - My old mans a Tory that only exists as one of Galton and Simpsons recordings.

Could just be a mistake though.

Very interesting link Ian0374, I think Paul meant that " my old man's a Tory" episode only exists in b/w shibaden VT recording form which was used by Galton & Simpson to privately record the show for their home viewing and not original format which if found would mean they'd have a far superior episode print for viewing purposes. :)

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Ian0374 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:17 pm

I'm a bit confused.

I always thought that the ones that exist only as black and white video recordings were all from Galton and Sinpson and the only telerecording is the first 15 mins of a winters tale ?.

The comments made by Paul initially indicated to myself that there has been a find but the only one not in this rumored find was my old mans a Tory ?

Need to do a bit of reading up I guess :)

Edit - sorry just re-read my earlier post which was meant to get this posts point across.

I do really need to proof read before submitting !!
Ian0374

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:59 pm

Ian0374 wrote:I'm a bit confused.

I always thought that the ones that exist only as black and white video recordings were all from Galton and Simpson and the only telerecording is the first 15 mins of a winters tale ?.

The comments made by Paul initially indicated to myself that there has been a find but the only one not in this rumoured find was my old man's a Tory ?

Need to do a bit of reading up I guess :)

Edit - sorry just re-read my earlier post which was meant to get this posts point across.

I do really need to proof read before submitting !!

No worries, Yes some are Telerecordings made from the then presumed lost 1960s episodes and early seventies ones also IE: Pot Black, a Death in the family ect... and as we all know Steptoe started there colour recordings in 1970 so obviously the ones previously were in the cheaper B&W format used before Galton & Simpson took the leap of faith in the medium of colour. I think Paul as said was referring to that particular episode as it's was one taped on an early but expensive Shibaden video recorder which that cost the earth and he would like a much better master recording of that episode as the one that exists is very poor print and has suffered being transferred onto basic VT which deteriorates over time and like all video tape the quality suffers unlike film. :)

Ilovesteptoe

Next

Return to Share your news